To get started, make sure your camera and remote have a full charge and are powered OFF.
Part 1 - Get your HERO4 camera ready for pairing mode
1. Power ON the HERO4 camera.
2. Navigate and enter the SETUP menu, then press the top shutter button to enter the WIRELESS menu.
3. In the Wi-Fi menu, press the camera’s front button until “REM CTRL” is highlighted, and then press the Shutter button to select it.
4. If an option to select Existing, New, or Back appears, select "NEW".
5. On the next screen you’ll see that the camera is now in Pairing mode for the next 3 minutes.
6. Now set your camera aside and pick up the remote.
Part 2 - Remote pairing steps
1. Power on the Smart Remote with the Power/Mode button.
2. When the Smart Remote displays a radiating Wi-Fi symbol, press and hold the Settings/Tag button on the remote (wrench icon). The remote will show two arrows moving towards each other. You can let go of the remote's Settings/Tag button at this time. Now the remote is in pairing mode.
Part 3 - Finish pairing the Remote and HERO4 camera
1. At this point, the camera and remote should both show arrows moving towards each other. After one minute or less, the camera and remote should pair.
2. The remote may ask you to pair another, press the Mode button to highlight "No", then press the red button to select it. Alternatively, you may see the pairing screen (arrows) and the number of connected cameras appear (typically "1"). Press the red shutter button on the Remote to complete the paring process.
3. The remote should now mirror the camera's front LCD screen, indicating that pairing was successful.
If the remote and camera are not able to connect, try these steps:
- Try to pair the remote to the camera as a 'new' remote (i.e. select "REM CTRL > New" in the camera's Wi-Fi menu).
- If pairing doesn't work, try to connect to the camera's Wi-Fi network with a phone/tablet. You'll need to switch the camera to "GoPro App" mode in the camera's Wi-Fi menu first.