Select the camera below to view the correct procedure.
Note – Reformatting the SD card will delete all existing footage on the card. Ensure that you save any desired videos or pictures prior to reformatting the card.
Formatting the SD card allows the camera to initialize it for use in your GoPro, and deletes any existing footage on the card. You can format the SD card:
Using your HERO (2018)
- Copy any desired files from your camera's SD card to your computer.
- Ensure that your SD card is inserted in your camera, then power the camera on.
- Swipe down from the top of the touch display, and tap on the "PREFERENCES" icon.
- Swipe upward on the display to scroll down the list; tap on "Format SD Card."
- Tap on "DELETE."
- Record a short 10 second video to verify that everything is working properly.
You should be good to go! If you still have an SD card related issue, please contact GoPro Customer Support at https://gopro.com/help
This article explains how to reformat an SD card with your camera in the camera’s settings menu.
Note – Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.
We’re going to navigate through the camera’s settings menu to reformat the SD card. To navigate through the menu, use the front (Power) button to move through the various menu options and the top (Shutter) button to select them.
Here are the steps to reformat your SD card with your HERO camera:
- Power ON your camera with the SD card inserted.
- Press the front (Power) button repeatedly until you see the wrench icon on the camera’s screen.
- Press the top (Shutter) button one time.
- Press the Power button repeatedly until you see a trashcan icon.
- Press the Shutter button one time to select the trashcan icon.
- Press the Power button until “ALL/Format” is highlighted.
- Press the Shutter button one time to select “ALL/Format”.
- Press the Power button until “Yes” is highlighted.
- Press the Shutter button one time to select “Yes”. Your camera’s LED and the trashcan icon will flash to indicate that your SD card is being reformatted.
If you power OFF/ON your camera, and your file counter should show 00.
Important – Take a picture. This confirms that your SD card is successfully reformatted.