by GoPro on 09-30-2019 07:34 PM - edited a month ago
Is my GoPro camera waterproof without a housing?
- All Cameras
The newer GoPro cameras are waterproof without a housing, while the older units require a housing. Details for each camera are below.
MAX and FUSION
- Yes. so long as all camera doors are closed, MAX and Fusion are waterproof down to 5m (16ft) without a housing.
HERO10 Black, HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black/Silver/White, HERO (2018), HERO6 Black, HERO5 Black, HERO Session, HERO4 Session, HERO5 Session
- Yes. so long as all camera doors are closed, these cameras are waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing.
- HERO10 Black, HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black, HERO 5 Black users with the need to dive deeper can utilize the appropriate dive housing, enabling the use of your camera as deep as 60m.
- HERO7 Silver and White can use the Protective Housing, allowing the use of the camera up to a depth of 131ft (40m).
HERO+ LCD, HERO+, HERO (2014)
- The camera comes in a non-removable housing that is capable of withstanding depths of up to 131 feet (40 meters).
HERO4 Black, Silver, HERO3+ Black, HERO3+ Silver
- No. These cameras are NOT waterproof without a housing.
- Each of the HERO4 cameras come with the Standard Housing that is capable of withstanding depths of up to 131 feet (40 meters).
- If you are using the Dive Housing, it is waterproof to 197' (60 meters).
- If you are using a BacPac, here are the depth ratings:
- Dive Housing BacPac Backdoor, the depth rating is 197' (60 meters).
- Standard Housing with the Standard BacPac Backdoor, the depth rating is 131' (40 meters).
- Standard Housing with the Touch BacPac Backdoor, the depth rating is 10' (3 meters).
HERO3 Black, HERO3 Silver, HERO3 White, HD HERO 2, HD HERO Original
- NO. These cameras are NOT waterproof without a housing.
- The HD HERO Original, HD HERO2, and HERO3 cameras come in a protective waterproof case that is capable of withstanding depths of up to 197 feet (60 meters). Before taking the unit in the water you'll want to be sure to verify that there is no dirt or debris along the white rubber gasket that could compromise the integrity of the waterproof case.
Standard Definition HERO
- You can safely take the Standard Definition HERO camera down to 100 feet underwater when it is in the Wrist HERO Housing or the Quick-release Housing.