Sightseer
Karma sports mode and VR Passanger app

Hi all. My name is Jakub and I am a happy user of Karma drone for several months already. I noticed there is a sport mode in Karma, though I never tested it. Anyway immediately an idea came to my mind. Why there is no VR mode in Karma Passanger app? It would allow you to put your smartphone in any cheap VR box and flight from FPP view. Can developers be kind and take an interest in this briliant idea? I hope condition of company isn't as bad as they say and development is still crutial part of the GoPro family :)

Hiker
Re: Karma sports mode and VR Passanger app

As far as I know development for Karma is over for a while now

As for the feature, I think the simple reason is that they didn't find a use case for it (or didn't think about it). But you can only control the tilt in the Passenger app so you'd never have  a VR experience anyway. Also changing video controls would be harder.

If you're think about using Passenger passively just to fly in VR without LoS, you'd probably be breaking a couple of laws almost everywhere

Sightseer

Well, then I found the use case - To fly the drone from first person perspective is awesome experience and idea. It should be default. Perhaps developers didn't think about it then, but maybe now with some software update it will change. Although the company is not in the best shape I still believe in them, I am sure they want to provide the best user experience and a lot of features.

As for the controls, you of course don't have to pilot Karma from the Passanger app. This is what remote is for. The App and VR set would be only for seeing. Changing controls, settings is not necessairy in VR mode, you can set your settings prior to flight anyway and the remote is intuitive enough to provide you good control overall even without directly looking at it.

What laws will I break piloting drone in VR set? What is the difference between pilotining it normally and this way? You can see what is ahead anyway... Sport drones are already suited with this function and noone cries about it.
Anyway the laws are not the same everywhere. For example I am from Poland and here you can still fly however and whatever you want. If you could be possibly breaking some law (that you can't fly drone in VR set for example)... if such exist, then there could be small notiffication before you turn VR mode on informing you about possibility of breaking such law.

Anyway your scepticism is a little annoying. You found very weak points against the idea and i presume you're doing it just for the cause of argueing.  I

Hiker
[ Edited ]

Może kolego poczytaj sobie polskie prawo projekt rozporządzenia zanim wpakujesz siebie albo innych w kłopoty swoją niewiedzą

http://www.swiatdronow.pl/projekt-rozporzadzenia-bvlos-z-17-04-2018-jakie-zmiany-niesie

And just fyi the drone division has mostly been let go, there's only a fraction of people working on Karma (if any at all at this point, there hasn't been a software upgrade since last year). Hence the tone of my response - there's little to none hope for any future feature upgrades.

But hey I guess such a feature would be cool, although the delay between what drone sees and what is displayed would make everything feel weird lol.

I'd love more autopath modes and some other features though tbh. One can hope.

EDIT: Sorki link jest do projektu rozporządzenia. Jestem za leniwy żeby sprawdzić czy rozporządzenia doszło do skutku... Więc zostawię to tak jak jest :p

Hiker
Hi Snowypike,
GoPro Karma is still an excellent drone for beginners and the gopro ecosystem enthusiast. It is such a let down that gopro closed the drone division, there were so many things that Karma2 would have brought to its costumers including VR goggles and even the Fusion camera harness. DJI is a powerful competitor. I’m devastated that GoPro is struggling.