Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.

Stories Frequently Asked Questions

by GoPro GoPro on ‎09-30-2019 09:33 PM - edited a week ago
Which cameras support Stories?
  • HERO5 Black cameras and newer
  • HERO5 Session

*These are the only cameras that have the necessary wireless capabilities to support Stories.

What content is transferred under Stories?

Stories will transfer only your most recent content. This focuses on your freshest material, the stuff you most likely want to share. All content transferred is organized into events on the GoPro App homescreen. 

To get an automatic Story, connect your GoPro (HERO5 or newer) to GoPro App within 72 hours after you took some footage. Files will be automatically transferred and ready to make a Story.

Please note that your media will never expire, but you can set a media lookback of to 1-7 days on iOS.

*Time Lapse Photos and Burst Photos cannot be transferred to create a Story. Time Lapse Video however, is supported by Stories.

How are my events organized on the GoPro App home screen?

The content is arranged in ‘clusters’ which form the basis for your Story draft. The app will arrange the content by capture date/time, and will separate content into a new cluster if it was shot more than 2 hours away from another piece of content.

Does my content expire? When do my stories expire? Can I save my media before it expires?

Prior to GoPro App version 5.2, all the content Stories transfers is considered temporary. The GoPro app would delete unused content 7 days after the time the last piece of media in a cluster is offloaded(3 days on Android). With GoPro app 5.2 and later, Stories content no longer expires as your content will be saved to the "App" tab in the app.

What video modes does Stories support?

Stories handles all video formats offered on HERO5 and newer cameras. If a video file is not playable on a device, the GoPro app will convert the file to the next-best playable format. You may experience a delay while this happens.

How long does it take to transfer my media?

Photos are nearly instant after a connection is established. Video transfer time will vary depending on the length, resolution, frame rate, and bit rate of that video.

Your surrounding wireless environment will play a role in the speed of the transfer as well. For our default setting of 1080/60 video, the minimum transfer time is slightly longer than the length of the video. For example, a 1-minute video would take a little longer than 1 minute to transfer, excluding any time required to power on the camera and establish a Wi-Fi connection.

Format

Length

Transfer Time

1080/60 (no ProTune) (30Mbps)

1 minute

~1.5 minutes

2.7k/30 fps (45Mbps)

1 minute

~2-2.5 minutes

4K/30 fps (60Mbps)

1 minute

3+ minutes

720/60 fps (30Mbps)

1 minute

~1.5 minutes

12MP photo

N/A

~1 second

Do I need to keep the app open (in the foreground) while an offload is happening?

Nope! One of the key advantages of Stories is that content will transfer in the background; you don’t need to keep the app on the screen in order to offload. Feel free to use other apps, or put the phone in your pocket, and the content will continue to transfer.
However, if you have trouble with transferring content, pull to refresh on the home screen and another offload will start. The app will pick up where it left off.

If an offload is interrupted, how will it resume? Will I still get my content?

In manual mode the app will attempt to restart for a period of time. If unable to reconnect, please pull down on the screen to trigger a new offload. In automatic mode the app will continue to look for the camera and reconnect upon finding it ready for offload.

How does Stories impact battery life of my camera?

When transferring content the battery consumption is similar to the camera being on and idle (not recording), with Wi-Fi on. After transferring, Stories can turn off the camera to conserve battery.

NOTE: Stories will protect a portion of your remaining battery so that you can still capture a special moment. If the camera reaches 20% battery level then Stories will be suspended until you charge or replace the camera battery.

Will I have enough space on my phone?  

Most GoPro camera owners capture around 6GB or less video content in 24 hours of shooting.  Many, but not all, of our customers have at least this much space on their phones.  For those who don’t, Stories makes it easy to create an edit partway through the day, then delete the raw content, making room for more. Please note that you need to Save the Story. If it's in draft status in Quik, it will still need to reference the original content.

Does Stories work with Karma?

Yes, cameras used in Karma drone must be removed from Karma before Stories can transfer footage to the phone.

How does Stories work with Karma Grip?

Stories is disabled when the camera is mounted in the Karma drone but would be fully functional if camera is mounted in Karma Grip.

Can I charge my camera and use Stories? Does it affect Auto Upload to Plus (Camera as Hub)?

Plugging in your camera and/or phone to charge is a great way to use Stories. If you are using Auto Upload to your Plus account on your home network, that upload will take priority over Stories. Once content is uploaded to Plus, it is now available to enjoy from the GoPro App media library under Cloud.

What’s the difference between “Add to existing project” OR “create a new one.”

This option allows you to append an existing project in Quik with new content. QuickStories arranges your freshly offloaded content into “clusters” set a two hours apart. With this option, when you open Quik you can add your content to the currently-open project, or create a brand-new project. The previous project will be saved for you.

How can I combine Stories into a single edit?

If you want to merge two clusters there are a couple ways to do it:

1. Open one cluster, return to the homescreen, and open the second one. Accepting the “add to existing” option will merge the content into the first cluster’s story.
  2. On your app homescreen, tap the “...” overflow menu for one of the Stories, then select “View Media”.  You’ll be taken to the “Recent” media tab where all your Stories content is available in a classic rid of thumbnails.  Choose the ones you want and tap the Quik logo to generate a new Story edit in Quik. Also, from within Quik you can select “GoPro Recent” in iOS or “Capture” in Android to add more Stories content to your project.

Does Stories support HiLights?  

Yes, Quik for mobile utilizes Hilights embedded into GoPro video to help produce a better edit, by organizing and prioritizing those specific moments in edits. You can use Quik’s “Hilight View” function manually select specific highlighted moments for use in an edit as well.

How does Quik select moments in your GoPro media?

Quik uses a proprietary algorithm to serve up moments. The edit is best created when utilizing the HiLight feature to tag specific moments of your content. Also, it automatically generates cuts between scenes, so that it matches the music and the theme.

Over what period of time will Stories pull footage from GoPro or Phone?

Footage that is more than 3 days old will not be automatically offloaded into a Story. However, you can still transfer content from your camera to app manually to create your own version of the edit.

Once offloading from GoPro to phone, can I still use the GoPro to capture content (e.g. take photo, record video)?

Yes. GoPro prioritizes getting out of the way and letting you shoot what you want, when you want. We’ll suspend the transfer while you are shooting (shutter open) and resume later after you finish.

How close does my GoPro need to be to my device for offloading?

We strongly recommend being within 10 feet or so, as that increases the likelihood you will have the fastest available transfer time. But it’s within the same Wi-Fi range as when you use the app for camera control, around 30 feet. The quality of connection will vary quite a bit due to a variety of environmental factors as well.

If my content is shot at a high resolution, will the transferred files for the “draft video” retain this resolution?

Yes, but only if the handset supports the format for playback. If the resolution is too high, we will automatically transcode to the best-fit format that we know the handset can play. Here is an article that shows what resolutions are supported:

Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share

Where are my files located once transferred to my mobile device? The GoPro App, Quik for mobile or are they temp files?

Your files live in the GoPro App, but are shared between the apps. The raw content will never expire as it will be saved to the Media page in the GoPro App until you decide to manually delete it or uninstall the app.

Are the files deleted from the camera after an offload?

No, the content remains on the SD card after an offload, so they are available for upload to GoPro Plus or for other uses.

How can I view a single photo or trim a video?

From the home screen, there are two paths to your individual media items. Tap the overflow icon on a Story thumbnail “...” and select “View Media”. Or, tap the media icon (iOS). On Android: open the lefthand hidden menu and select “Media”. This brings up a traditional grid view of your Stories media, where you can choose to save it, delete it, extract a photo, or create a video clip.

How do the camera and app communicate?

The app and camera use Bluetooth Smart (Bluetooth Low Energy, or BLE) to communicate that the camera has new media, and that it’s OK to offload it. The app manages the camera power state over BLE and manages the Wi-Fi radio. Content is transferred over a Wi-Fi connection that the app initiates via commands over BLE.

How do I get my Story once my content is offloaded?

At the top of the home screen, you will see a carousel of thumbnails, each labeled “Story”.  Tap one to open the story in Quik, where it will start to playback in the editing window.

Quik for mobile has 24hr For You automatic edit. How is Stories different?

24hr For You edit includes both GoPro content from Stories and from your phone. Stories clusters content differently, in order to match the GoPro customers’ typical session, and those clusters are typically less than 24 hours in duration.

What is Auto Mode and how do I use it?

When you open the app to the home screen, the app will be looking for your camera with new media. If it finds it, it will alert you and invite you to start an offload.

If Auto Mode is On, it will automatically connect and transfer media from your GoPro Camera, to the GoPro App. You can find this in Settings > Auto Offload(iOS) and Settings > Preferences(Android). In Auto Mode is Off, you must pull down on the homescreen to initiate a search for your camera. If new content available (and taken in the last 72 hours) an offload will occur, creating a Story.

Sometimes I see a ‘transferring’ icon on my camera and sometimes not.  Why?

If the app wakes the camera for purposes of an offload, the camera indicates that by way of this icon on the front and back LCDs.
If the camera was already On, the transfer icon won’t appear during the offload, because we don’t want it in the way in case you are about to shoot content.

If I shut down the camera while it is offloading to the phone, what happens?

The camera is put in a paused state for offload, because the user indicated he doesn’t want an offload at that time.  When camera is in this paused state, the app will not attempt an offload. To clear this paused state, either initiate a manual refresh of content from the app homescreen, or capture new media.

Are there times when the app can’t offload from the camera?

Yes. The camera is considered ‘busy’ when it is encoding (recording) and under certain other conditions. Any Stories offload happening at that moment is suspended.

How do I manage the WiFi and Bluetooth?

Generally, you don’t need to manage the wireless connections; the app will do that for you. iOS device prefers a known Wi-Fi hotspot such as your home router, which has internet access. It will automatically connect to that Wi-Fi hotspot unless you manually connect it to the camera.  

How is the experience different on iOS vs. Android?

The experience is largely the same on both platforms. The key difference is that Android offers apps such as ours more control over wireless connections. So we offer an optional, fully “Automatic” mode for Stories. Enabling this under the Stories settings will allow the app to take full control over offloads.

How does automatic mode work on Android?

The app will work in the background on your phone to continually scan for your camera. If it finds it, and the camera indicates it has new media available, the app will automatically wake the camera, connect to the camera’s W-iFi, copy the media, then return the camera to its previous state. You will be notified when a new Story is ready.

What is the ‘arrow’ icon on the camera’s screen?

When the app wakes the camera for purposes of offload, it displays this icon to let you know why the camera is on. This is particularly important in Android’s Automatic mode, so you will know that the camera is on deliberately, and wasn’t accidentally powered on.

What happens if I press “cancel” on the camera during the offload process?

Pressing cancel or powering down the camera while the offload icon is on signals to the camera that the user doesn’t want the camera offloading at that time. This puts the camera in a forced ‘paused’ state. The app will ignore the camera until the paused state is cleared.
To clear the state you can:​

1. Capture new media on your camera
  2. Manually initiate an offload from the app (pull down on the homescreen)

What notifications will Stories give me?

The app will give you a progress indicator on the homescreen. It will indicate status of the transfer, and let you know how many media items were successfully offloaded. There are in-app and system-level notifications for when offload is complete: “Your Story is ready”. There are also notifications in the event of an offload error.

More tips & troubleshooting:
HELP ARTICLES
JOIN A GROUP