by GoPro 09-30-2019 08:57 PM - edited 08-06-2020 09:40 PM
GoPro Studio repeatedly crashes or freezes up. This can be in any area of GoPro Studio, or at any time.
- GoPro Studio
If you're using a Mac, please click here.
Typically, crashing issues can be resolved by doing any or all of the following:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of GoPro Studio/App for Desktop installed. You can download the latest version here.
- Verify that your computer meets the minimum system requirements by comparing your computer's specs to our requirements here: Minimum System Requirements
Click on the Start Menu, then right-click on the word "Computer" or “My Computer”, and click “Properties”. Once you have done this, scroll down to the System Information for Processor and RAM. You can find your graphics card by clicking on the small arrow to the left of “Display Adapters” in your Device Manager.
- Here’s how to find Device Manager for Windows 7
- Here’s how to find Device Manager for Windows 8
- Windows 10 users: Open a File Explorer window(Windows Key+E), and you will see "This PC" rather than "Computer"
- Make sure you are logged in as an administrator, right-click on the GoPro Studio desktop icon and select Run as administrator.
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582.
- Run Windows Update to make sure you have all the latest Windows Updates and Service Packs, especially everything that has to do with Microsoft .Net Framework(You may need to run Windows Update a couple times, as some updates enable newer updates to be installed). To make sure that the updates are looking for the right components, follow the instructions below:
- Click the Start button (Windows 7/10) or switch to the tile view (Windows 8)
- Type "Turn Windows features on or off"
- Select Microsoft .Net framework 3.x.x
- Check all the boxes
- Click OK
- Make sure there aren’t any non-English letters in the filenames or folders in your source files or “Save to” location.
- If crashing persists, try booting Windows in “SAFE MODE” and then try Studio again. If it still crashes, contact customer support. If it does not crash in SAFE MODE that means that another process that is running in non-safe mode is interfering with GoPro Studio’s ability to run properly.
- Uninstall and reinstall GoPro Studio.
- Close GoPro Studio.
- Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs and Features
- Find "GoPro Studio" and uninstall it.
- Reinstall GoPro Studio.
- Turn off User Account Control in Windows Control Panel.
- Windows 7 Instructions
- Windows 8 Instructions
- Windows 10 users: Open the start menu and type "UAC" in the search bar. "Change User Account Control settings" will appear.
- Temporarily disable your anti-virus software. You can usually do this by the following, although you may need to research your particular software if the below steps don't work for you:
- Click the Anti-virus software icon in the task bar (by the clock in the bottom-right of the computer screen). If you don’t see it, click the up arrow next to the clock, and you should see the icon in there.
- Right-click on the icon.
- Click “Disable for 1 hour” or something similar. This option is available in most anti-virus programs. Do not choose "Disable until restart."
- Verify that your computer meets the minimum system requirements by comparing your computer's specs to our requirements here: Minimum System Requirements. Click the icon in the top left corner of your screen, and then click About this Mac. Next, click More Info…
- Try quitting other programs that you may have running, but that you are not using.
- Make sure that you have downloaded and installed all of the latest updates for your computer. To do this, go to the Apple icon in the upper-left and click Software Update.
- If you are importing videos or pictures to GoPro Studio when you encounter a problem, make sure that you copy the files to your computer from your camera first. Then you can import the files into GoPro Studio.
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling GoPro Studio.
- Please send the crash report details to customer support and indicate what you were doing in GoPro Studio at the time of the crash.