GoPro Labs is currently supported for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, MAX, HERO7 Black, and HERO5 Session. To access, all you have to do is update your camera to the GoPro Labs firmware. The step-by-step process is outlined at the bottom of this post.
User can use these new features to push GoPro camera versatility even further using:
• Camera Motion Triggers: Leverage the camera’s accelerometer and/or gyroscope to start/stop capture only when the camera is in motion, preserving storage and battery.
• USB Power Triggers: Your GoPro can start/stop capture when USB power is detected, enabling USB-triggered functions such as serving as a dash cam.
• Motion Detection Enhancements: Motion detection is now supported in all video modes, including 360° motion detection on MAX, with improvements to the sensitivity range.
• Simplified Live Streaming QR Code: Program your GoPro to start live streaming within seconds of being connected to a designated Wi-Fi network.
• Single-Setting/One-Button Mode: Enable a one-button mode where the operator can only start/stop capture, making it impossible to accidentally change camera mode. This is designed to capture critical events.
• New Exposure Modes: Set timed exposure lock and minimum shutter speed settings.
• New QR Code Controls on HERO9 Black:
• QR code controls supported in 5K and HindSight capture for HERO9 Black.
• Sound Level Trigger to start and stop captures based on environmental loudness.
• Optional camera encryption and decryption for media for secure captures.
• Timecode reading and syncing via the Media Mod audio line-in.
Instructions for using the QR code feature can be found here.
How to Install GoPro Labs Firmware
- Download the GoPro Labs firmware for:
- HERO9 Black v1.60.70 | June 2021
- MAX v2.00.71 | January 2021
- HERO8 Black v2.50.71 | January 2021
- HERO7 Black v1.90.71 | January 2021
- HERO5 Session v2.51.72 | May 2021
- Follow the manual firmware update instructions here, starting with Step 2.
- After you’ve installed the GoPro Labs firmware, please visit these instructions for information about how to use the QR code feature.
By downloading any of the public updates provided to you on, from, or through the GoPro website you signify your agreement to these terms of participation (the "Terms”).
Join the discussion about these features on the GoPro Support Hub.