In our second edition of GoPro Labs, we’re pleased to add support for HERO9 Black, MAX, and HERO7 Black. To access, all you have to do is update your camera to the GoPro Labs firmware; the step-by-step process is outlined at the bottom of this post.
User can use these new features to push GoPro camera versatility even further using:
• Camera Motion Triggers: Leverage the camera’s accelerometer and/or gyroscope to start/stop capture only when the camera is in motion, preserving storage and battery.
• USB Power Triggers: Your GoPro can start/stop capture when USB power is detected, enabling USB-triggered functions such as serving as a dash cam.
• Motion Detection Enhancements: Motion detection is now supported in all video modes, including 360° motion detection on MAX, with improvements to the sensitivity range.
• Simplified Live Streaming QR Code: Program GoPro to start live streaming within seconds of being connected to a designated Wi-Fi network.
• Single-Setting/One-Button Mode: Enable a one-button mode where the operator can only start/stop capture, making it impossible to accidentally change camera mode. This is designed to capture critical events.
• New Exposure Modes: Set timed exposure lock and minimum shutter speed settings.
• New QR Code Controls: QR code controls supported in 5K and HindSight capture for HERO9 Black.
Instructions for using the QR code feature can be found here.
How to Install GoPro Labs Firmware
- Download the GoPro Labs firmware for:
- Follow the manual firmware update instructions here, starting with Step 2.
- After you’ve installed the GoPro Labs firmware, please visit these instructions for information about how to use the QR code feature.
By downloading any of the public updates provided to you on, from, or through the GoPro website you signify your agreement to these terms of participation (the "Terms”).
Join the discussion about these features on the GoPro Support Hub.