Update Camera Software Wirelessly With the GoPro App.
- GoPro App
- HERO7 Black, Silver, White
- HERO (2018)
- HERO6 Black
- HERO5 Black/Session
- HERO Session + HERO4 Session
- HERO+/HERO+ LCD
If you have updated your GoPro App to version 3.1 or greater, you have the option to update your HERO7 Black/Silver/White, HERO (2018), HERO6, HERO5, HERO4, HERO3+, HERO+ family, and HERO Session / HERO4 Session cameras wirelessly directly from the GoPro App. There are 5 requirements in order to update GoPro camera software wirelessly, they are:
- You can only update HERO7 Black/Silver/White, HERO (2018) HERO6, HERO5, HERO4, HERO3+, HERO+ family, and HERO Session / HERO4 Session cameras wirelessly. Earlier camera models cannot be updated in this way. If you have an earlier camera model, please visit the Software Update Page.
- You must be using a compatible mobile device.
- You must have an active connection to the internet. The GoPro App defaults to download automatically from the cellular data network. The software file size is about 25MB. App settings can be adjusted to not use cellular data to download the file.
- You must have at least 2 bars of battery life on the camera and a charged phone. If the phone battery is not charged, the wireless update will not start. A warning message will appear.
- You must have an SD card in the camera.
Here is the process to update your camera Over the Air:
Step 1: Ensure that your mobile device has access to the internet.
Step 2: Enable the camera's Wi-Fi and connect to the network in your phones Wireless Settings.
*You will also need to enable Bluetooth for HERO4, HERO3+, HERO+ family, and HERO Session / HERO4 Session cameras*
Step 3: Start the GoPro App.
Step 4: Select "Control Your GoPro" and select your camera from the menu.
Step 5: If there is an update available, the GoPro App should prompt you to update your camera upon selecting your camera from the list of devices.
Step 6: The App will present any available release notes. Click Update to continue.
Step 7: Read the legal disclaimer. Press Accept & Continue.
Step 8: The GoPro App will then transfer the new camera software to the camera. The camera will display "Transferring Files to" your camera at this time.
Step 9: The camera will power off and on a number of times as it updates its software. As the camera powers off it may disconnect from the App's Wi-Fi.
Step 10: Reconnect to the camera in the Mobile Devices Wi-Fi Settings. Relaunch the GoPro App, it will then notify you that the update was successful.
Not seeing these options?
The GoPro App is designed to automatically download the update files for your camera if there is an update available. If for some reason you are not prompted to update your camera, you can simply wait 24 hours and check back for the update or follow the steps below:
- Make sure that you are near a known Wi-Fi network.
- Enable Wi-Fi on your GoPro and connect to your camera's Wi-Fi network.
- Open the GoPro App and select your camera from the list of devices.
- Navigate back to your Wi-Fi settings and connect to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Force close GoPro App then relaunch the app.
- Please wait approximately five minutes. During this time, the GoPro App should download the update files for your camera in the background. Please note that you will not see any progress or visual queues indicating that the update files are downloading.
- After approximately five minutes, navigate back to your Wi-Fi settings and re-connect to your GoPro's Wi-Fi network.
- Now that you're connected, go back to the GoPro App and select your camera from the list of available devices. You should be prompted with an update for your camera.