If you would prefer to see a video tutorial on charging your camera, check out this article: Video Tutorial - Charging Your Camera and Accessories
The following instructions detail the best way to fully charge your camera battery.
- Power off the camera and Wi-Fi/GPS/Connections/Voice Command (if applicable).
- Disconnect any BacPac accessories (if applicable).
- USB wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO7 Black, Silver and White, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session). Chargers can be purchased in the GoPro store. Alternatively, you can use a computer USB port:
- We do not recommend using ports on a peripheral device (USB hub, standalone monitor, etc.).
- NOTE: Cameras will take longer to charge via computer USB port.
- Desktop Computers: Try to use a port at the rear of the desktop/tower.
- Laptop Computers: Plug your laptop in (if possible), to ensure that the ports are providing sufficient charge.
- The one or more of the camera's red LED(s) should turn on to indicate that it is charging.
- Leave the camera powered off and charging until the front LED has turned off. Once the front LED turns off, the battery is fully charged. This can take up to 4 hours if the computer is used and up to 2 hours if a USB wall charger is used (longer for Fusion).
If the camera doesn't power on or the red LED doesn't light up, check out our no power troubleshooting instructions:
- HERO9 Black
- GoPro MAX
- HERO8 Black
- HERO7 Black
- HERO7 Silver
- HERO7 White
- HERO6 Black
- HERO5 Black
- HERO5 Session
- HERO Session / HERO4 Session
- HERO+ LCD / HERO+
- HD HERO2 / Original HD HERO
Note #1: Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while charging with a computer.
Note #2: If the camera's front LCD screen is powered on while plugged in, your camera is not charging as effectively because it is using some energy staying powered on. We recommend disconnecting the camera, powering it off, and then reconnecting the camera to the charging source. Here are images showing the preferred way to charge the battery:
|Preferred: red LEDs (circled) are illuminated|
|Not preferred: camera display powered on|