by GoPro 10-02-2019 09:54 PM - edited 01-29-2021 10:51 AM
HERO8 Black is not powering on.
Follow these instructions to get your HERO8 Black camera to power on again:
- Disconnect the camera from any external power source and remove the SD card.
- Remove the battery, wait 5 seconds and then reinsert battery.
- Press the Mode Button to see if the camera responds (look for LED illumination, beeps, or a response from the camera’s screens).
- If there's no response, attempt to reset the camera by pressing and holding the Mode Button for 8-10 seconds. After releasing the button, leave the camera alone for ≈5 seconds and then attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
- If still unable to get any sign of life from camera, remove the battery and connect to a 5V 2A wall charger (5V 1A minimum) using the GoPro USB Type-C cable.
- Watch for the front LED to flash within 5 seconds (it's fast, so be ready to watch)
- Let it sit for 5 seconds and try to turn the camera on (with the battery still removed). NOTE: In a pinch, you can use a computer USB port, but we do not recommend using a multi-port USB hub when trying to charge the camera. If the camera does not turn on, try using a secondary USB Type-C cable.
- If the camera will power on, insert the battery and again look for the front LED to flash.
- Look for the front LED to turn on and stay on. This can take several minutes if the battery is severely depleted.
- Remove the camera from charging source and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode button.
- If provided with a response, allow camera to turn back off, insert the SD card and wait ≈5 seconds, then attempt to record a sample video.
- If you are not able to power on the camera while unplugged, please contact GoPro Customer Support.