The camera will not power on.
- HERO (2018)
- HERO (2014)
- Disconnect the camera from any external power source and remove SD card. Remove, then reinsert the battery.
- Press the Mode Button to see if the camera responds (look for LED illumination, beeps, or a response from the camera’s screens).
- If there's no response, attempt to reset camera by pressing and holding the Mode Button for 8-10 seconds. After releasing the button, leave the camera alone for ≈5 seconds and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
- If still unable to get any sign of life from camera, connect to a 5V 2A wall charger (5V 1A minimum) using the GoPro USB Type-C cable, look for red LED illumination to indicate charging. NOTE: In a pinch, you can use a computer USB port, but we do not recommend using a multi-port USB hub when trying to charge the camera.
- If the red LED does not illuminate, try using a secondary USB Type-C cable and/or charging adapter.
- If/when red LEDs illuminate, allow camera to remain charging for a few minutes.
- Remove the camera from charging source and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
- If provided with a response, allow camera to turn back off, insert the SD card and wait ≈5 seconds, then attempt to record a sample video.
We have a few different steps to help get your camera powered back on. In order to do so, let's get the camera ready for troubleshooting. Please remove the camera's microSD card and disconnect any USB cable that might be attached to the camera.
Then, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Please press and hold the Power/Mode button on the front of the camera for about 10 seconds, then release it. This acts as a rest and in most cases, this makes your camera power ON again if the battery has a charge.
- If the camera doesn't power ON, let's try charging the battery. Please use the supplied GoPro USB cable to connect your camera to a USB port directly on your computer or to a USB wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A. Once it's connected, you should see a red LED light up on the front of your camera within no more than a couple of minutes. If you do not see a red LED illuminate on the front of your camera, please try pressing and holding the Power/Mode button for 10 seconds while it is still connected to the USB cable. If the camera still doesn't power ON, please try these same steps using a different USB cable and USB port or charger.
- When the camera is connected to the USB cable and USB port or charger, you should see the red LED light up on the front of the camera. This indicates that your camera is charging the battery. With the front red LED lit up, your camera should reach a full charge in 2 hours if connected to a wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A. If connected to your computer's USB port, it may take up to 4 hours to reach a full charge. Once the red LED shuts off, your camera's battery has reached a full charge