Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.

GoPro Webcam FAQ and Troubleshooting

by GoPro ‎07-07-2020 06:09 PM - edited ‎08-06-2020 08:11 PM

With GoPro Webcam and the GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility, you may have some questions or run across some trouble. We hope that the information below will provide you with the solution that you are looking for. 

FAQ

• Can I use a different GoPro camera?

• No. This feature is only for HERO8 Black (and possible future cameras)
  • Can I connect my camera wirelessly?

• No. At this time, you must use a USB cable to connect the camera to your computer
  • Can I change my camera orientation and still have the image right-side up? 

• Not at this time. The camera must be in an upright, horizontal position
  • Can I use Webcam Beta and GoPro Labs at the same time?

• No. At this time, you can only have one version of the firmware installed at a time
  • Can I use the GoPro Mic as a the Webcam audio source?

• Not at this time. We plan to support that in the future. In the meantime, you'll need a separate mic source. 
  • Why do some applications support GoPro Webcam but others do not?

• Some applications do not support virtual webcam services. If you run into an application that isn't working, be sure to close and relaunch the application. If the issue persists you can reach out to the application providers and request if they can support virtual webcams.
  • Can I record a video with the GoPro while using it in Webcam Mode?

• Not at this time. 

Troubleshooting

• Why isn't my GoPro being recognized by my computer?

• Be sure that you are using a known, good USB cable (3.0 preferably) into a USB (again 3.0 preferably) port on your computer.  

• Why is my GoPro Webcam only working when using a USB 3.0 cable?

• When using a cable other than a USB 3.0 cable, a charged battery must be inserted in the camera
  • Why isn't my preview screen working?

• You will need to ensure your computer settings are correct. Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > check GoPro Webcam
  • Why doesn't my camera show that it's charging while it's plugged in and being used in Webcam Mode?

• This behavior is the same as charging while taking video. The charging icon does not show due the fact that the camera may not actually be receiving more power than it's using. How much power the camera is receiving vs what it is using is dependent on the charging source.
  • Why does my preview stay on the GoPro Logo?

• This could be caused by an active firewall or attempting to use a USB 2.0/3.0 cable into a USB 3.1 port on your computer. 

HELP ARTICLES
JOIN A GROUP
GOPRO LABS
GOPRO WEBCAM