Before updating, make sure:
- Your GoPro supports updates via the mobile app. Check out the list above to see which cameras can be updated using GoPro Quik.
- You are using a compatible mobile device.
- You have an active connection to the internet. GoPro Quik defaults to download automatically from the cellular data network. The software file size is about 25MB. App settings can be adjusted to not use cellular data to download the file.
- You have at least 2 bars of battery life on the camera and a charged phone. If the phone battery is not sufficiently charged, the wireless update will not start and a warning message will appear.
- You have an SD card in the camera.
Steps to update your camera using GoPro Quik:
Step 1: Ensure that your mobile device has access to the internet.
Step 2: Enable the camera's Wi-Fi and connect to the network in your phones Wireless Settings.
Step 3: Start GoPro Quik.
Step 4: Find your camera and select "Control Your GoPro."
Step 5: If there is an update available, GoPro Quik should prompt you to update your camera upon selecting your camera from the list of devices.
Step 6: The App will present any available release notes. Click Update to continue.
Step 7: Read the legal disclaimer. Press Accept & Continue.
Step 8: GoPro Quik will then transfer the new software to the camera. The camera will display "Transferring Files to" your camera at this time.
Step 9: The camera will power off and on a number of times as it updates its software. As the camera powers off it may disconnect from the App's Wi-Fi.
Step 10: Reconnect to the camera in the Mobile Device's Wi-Fi Settings. Relaunch GoPro Quik, it will then notify you that the update was successful.
Not seeing these options?
GoPro Quik is designed to automatically download the update files for your camera if there is an update available. If for some reason you are not prompted to update your camera, you can simply wait 24 hours and check back for the update or follow the steps below:
- Make sure that you are near a known Wi-Fi network.
- Enable Wi-Fi on your GoPro and connect to your camera's Wi-Fi network.
- Open GoPro Quik and select your camera from the list of devices.
- Navigate back to your Wi-Fi settings and connect to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Force close GoPro Quik then relaunch the app.
- Please wait approximately five minutes. During this time, GoPro Quik should download the update files for your camera in the background. Please note that you will not see any progress or visual queues indicating that the update files are downloading.
- After approximately five minutes, navigate back to your Wi-Fi settings and re-connect to your GoPro's Wi-Fi network.
- Now that you're connected, go back to GoPro Quik and select your camera from the list of available devices. You should be prompted with an update for your camera.