What content can I use to create my videos? Should I be concerned with licensing rights with music used and where I post my video?
- GoPro App
- Quik for mobile
- iOS Devices
- Android Devices
- May I use the videos created in the GoPro App and Quik for a personal use? (ex: personal blog / educational purpose / family friends sharing)
- May I use the videos created by the GoPro App and Quik for a commercial/promotional use?
- Yes as long as you the medias and the music used are both cleared for commercial use. the GoPro App and Quik's music isn't cleared for commercial use.
- If you are using songs from the GoPro App and Quik's music library in your personal videos:
- We pay copyrights so that our users can have those songs in their personal videos; however, be aware that if you share the video on social networks, it may not be that simple since Facebook / YouTube / Instagram don't support individual licenses.
- If the music is DRM protected it cannot be imported in the GoPro App and Quik for mobile. Music purchased on iTunes between 2003 and 2009 is DRM protected. This protection prevents the GoPro App and Quik for mobile from downloading the music to use in your video.
Social Media Platforms
- Facebook / Instagram:
- Those platforms have a binary way to detect copyright materials: if you upload your video and used a copyrighted music that they have on their list (even if it's from the GoPro App and Quik, even if you've bought it) then Instagram will take down your video and Facebook will partially mute it.
- You can appeal to get your video back - only if you are using the GoPro App and Quik's music.
- Here it's a bit different. They do not take down your video but they put ads on it. The GoPro App and Quik have music agreements set up so the music rights holders are able to claim and monetize user-generated content on the backend, so they just can't block or take it down. There's nothing to be done on the user’s side.
Users aren't able to monetize or make content commercially available using music from the GoPro App and Quik.
To avoid this issue: simply copy and paste the link of your video. For that choose Share via Email sent to yourself or Copy Link so you will get the link of your video.
Sharing your video as a link will work / uploading it as a file may not.
Terms and Conditions
The default Terms and Conditions of Apple apply to the GoPro App and Quik for mobile: