Does my higher end GoPro camera play back 4K content to a 4K TV through HDMI?
- HERO4 Black
- HERO5 Black
- HERO6 Black
- HERO7 Black
HERO7 Black / HERO6 Black / HERO5 Black
- Playback up to 4K from recorded media
- Output of live preview at 1080p
- Output while recording at 720p
- If you are using an HDMI cable from the camera 4K content will play back at 1080-60 on a 4K TV.
- If you are using a USB card reader or USB drive, you may be able to play back in 4K resolution on a 4K TV. This is dependent on whether or not you have a 4K TV capable of 4K Playback via USB card reader or USB drive. Check with your TV manufacturer for details.
We have verified that the following 2014 4K televisions are capable of USB playback of 4K content using a USB SD card reader per the television manufacturer’s website. For questions about playback compatibility, visit the television manufacturer’s website.
Samsung 2014 models:
- 55" UN55HU8550 Widescreen LCD Ultra HD w/ Glasses
- 65" UN65HU8550 Widescreen LCD Ultra HDTV w/ Glasses
- 60" UN60HU8550 Widescreen LCD Ultra HD w/Glasses
- 50" UN50HU8550 Widescreen LCD UltraHDTV w/ Glasses
- 75" UN75HU8550 Widescreen LCD Ultra HD w/Glasses
- 85" UN85HU8550 Widescreen LCD Ultra HD w/Glasses
To provide the best possible playback of your GoPro 4K video, you should use a 4K capable computer connected to a 4K monitor or 4K TV. If the computer is not 4K capable, the video will likely play back choppy.
What is required to playback 4K video from your computer?
Here are the minimum system requirements for PC and Mac for 4K edit/playback based on processor and graphics card manufacturer's websites.
Integrated Graphics solutions that support 4K external displays (8GB RAM recommended with integrated graphics solutions):
- 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor family (Intel Haswell based CPUs) - (Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 / Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100, Intel® HD Graphics 5000 / 4600 / 4400 / 4200)
- AMD A10-7800 APU
Discrete Graphics cards that support 4K external displays:
- Nvidia GeForce
- GeForce® GTX™ 970
- GeForce® GTX™ 980
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Black
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN
- GeForce® GTX™ 780 & 780 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 770
- GeForce® GTX™ 760 & 760 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 750 & 750 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 690, 680, 670, 660, 660 Ti, 650, 650 Ti BOOST, 650 Ti
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series or better
Other things to consider:
- You need to have a monitor which is capable of playing back 4K video if you want to properly play 4K.
- Even if your computer meets the requirements, you may find that 4K video plays back choppy. This is due to the immense processing power required to play 4K.