The camera is freezing up.
- HERO8 Black
- HERO7 (White, Silver & Black)
- HERO6 Black
- HERO5 Black
- HERO5 Session
- HERO Session + HERO4 Session
- HERO+ LCD
- HERO (2018)
- HERO (2014)
- HD HERO2
- HD HERO Original
If a camera is freezing up, it is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations.
Below are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue for you. Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Connections/Wi-Fi/GPS/Voice Control and removed any BacPac (if applicable).
- If your camera is currently frozen, try to reset the camera by holding the MODE button for 10 seconds (hold the top SHUTTER button on the HERO Session / HERO4 Session).
- Should the camera not prompt a reset, remove and then reinsert the battery to get it unstuck (for cameras with integrated batteries, Step 1 will imitate a battery pull).
- Make sure you have the most current software on your camera. Click here for instructions on how to check the software on your camera. If you're not sure you have the most current software on your camera, we recommend redoing the software update. Check out these pages for all of the latest camera software updates:
- If you have the most current camera software, you may need to re-update the camera software. Often times this can correct any errors with the previous software installation.
- Format your microSD card one more time using the DELETE ALL function in the camera settings. Here are instructions: How to Delete Files from microSD Cards. If you are unable to format the microSD card in your camera, here are instructions on how to do so through your Mac or Windows computer.
- Determine whether removing the SD card from the camera alleviates the freezing (i.e., power the camera on without an SD card and see if the camera freezes while navigating the menus).
- Try a different, known good SD card. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through reputable resellers. Check out our Recommended SD Card list. There are both counterfeit and underperforming SD cards out in the marketplace, which can prevent proper functioning of your HD HERO camera's features.
Still have any questions or concerns? Please reach out here and we will be happy to help.