Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Nomad

iTunes to direct subscription failed

[ New ]

The inevitable happened even though I was ensured it wouldn't. 

• Been a Plus subscriber for years via iTunes
  • Clarified with support prior to purchasing the Hero 9 that;
    • A - a had to purchase a subscription with the camera to get the discount even though I was already a subscriber and
    • B - if I cancelled my iTunes version of the subscription, the new yearly subscription I purchased with the camera would take over automatically. 
  • I cancelled the iTunes subscription as instructed.
  • One month later, my account is now unsubscribed.

The expectation was the subscription would just switch over from iTunes to GoPro direct and I would still be subscribed. I'm now very concerned I'm going to lose all my cloud-stored files.

Raising here in case anyone is on that same path.

Annoyingly, because I'm now unsubscribed, I can't get through to support.

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: iTunes to direct subscription failed

[ New ]

Thanks to GoPro Support for sorting this out, turned out to be a confusion in the shopping cart during the purchase mostly. Updating here for anyone having the same approach.

Short version: If you're already subscribed via iTunes, the shopping cart has already applied the discount, even though it doesn't show it. If you're purchasing a Hero 9 and you already have an iTunes based GoPro subscription, you don't need to change anything, it's already discounted and you can keep the iTunes going as normal.

So, in more details, when ordering, the shopping cart had a discount applied with the 12-month subscription included, as shown below.

Shopping cart with discount applied twice

When removing the subscription from the cart, the discount disappeared, hence the decision to instead leave the subscription in to get the discount on the camera and cancel the iTunes version. Effectively attempting to convert it from an iTunes subscription to a GoPro direct one. 

However, what wasn't clear at the time was the undiscounted price in the cart was in-fact an already discounted price because of my already existing iTunes membership. The full retail being $699, discounted to $599, not the $489 price. AUD retail price is considerably higher than the USD price.

When the order went through, the subscription was then automatically removed because it recognised I was already a member. So I, therefore, had not actually purchased an additional membership and the iTunes one was still effective so when I cancelled the latter, thinking I had just purchased 12 months subscription directly, it cancelled my subscription.

So GoPro, you probably need to have a look at where the $489 price came from because that's what I thought the discounted price was, something odd there and ensure there's a prompt to let iTunes members know that the discount has already been applied.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: iTunes to direct subscription failed

[ New ]

Thanks to GoPro Support for sorting this out, turned out to be a confusion in the shopping cart during the purchase mostly. Updating here for anyone having the same approach.

Short version: If you're already subscribed via iTunes, the shopping cart has already applied the discount, even though it doesn't show it. If you're purchasing a Hero 9 and you already have an iTunes based GoPro subscription, you don't need to change anything, it's already discounted and you can keep the iTunes going as normal.

So, in more details, when ordering, the shopping cart had a discount applied with the 12-month subscription included, as shown below.

Shopping cart with discount applied twice

When removing the subscription from the cart, the discount disappeared, hence the decision to instead leave the subscription in to get the discount on the camera and cancel the iTunes version. Effectively attempting to convert it from an iTunes subscription to a GoPro direct one. 

However, what wasn't clear at the time was the undiscounted price in the cart was in-fact an already discounted price because of my already existing iTunes membership. The full retail being $699, discounted to $599, not the $489 price. AUD retail price is considerably higher than the USD price.

When the order went through, the subscription was then automatically removed because it recognised I was already a member. So I, therefore, had not actually purchased an additional membership and the iTunes one was still effective so when I cancelled the latter, thinking I had just purchased 12 months subscription directly, it cancelled my subscription.

So GoPro, you probably need to have a look at where the $489 price came from because that's what I thought the discounted price was, something odd there and ensure there's a prompt to let iTunes members know that the discount has already been applied.