Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Highlighted
Tourist

Video File Transfer

Hi GoPro;

I'm having issues transferring files off my camera. I've tried transferring via wifi to the cloud, both automatically and manually. I've made sure the camera is up to date and tried turning on/off numerous times. When that didn't work, I uploaded the videos to my desktop and tried to upload manually to the website. It says the files are successfully uploaded but then they never show up. Now the files are on my computer, off my camera, but won't transfer to the website. I've been trying to get these videos uploaded for weeks now.

Seems like many others are having the same transferring issues. Are there bigger issues going on or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any assistance you can provide. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Video File Transfer

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @thehip. We'd like to gather a few more details to help isolate the issue. When you log in to plus.gopro.com using a web browser on your computer, please try to browse through the Media Library to check if the files were just dated incorrectly.

Also, how did you upload the files to PLUS? Did you upload regular videos, or are the media captured using other modes (TimeLapse, TimeWarp, 360)? By any chance, did you get an error message? How large are the files? Are these chaptered files

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, That seems all too common with GO PRO's web and app's.  Go Pro S L O W. And really with Go Pro Quick, Go Pro  Player, and Go Pro Plus, Go Pro Website, Go Pro Cloud. You can use a computer for this and you have to use a app for that and you can't update your camera with a computer. It is really all over the place, a real mess. I've been waiting on a response from support for a couple of weeks now. So, I am really disappointed in Go Pro with it's current leadership and board. Could be really cool but instead, it, like many others may have  unfortunately sold out to mediocre.Or is it all the fault of the CORONA VIRUS (Dun Dun Dun...) 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @djt61016

Sorry for any trouble caused.

When you tried the manual upload, do you observe the same for both regular and 360 videos?

Can we also have the case number from the last time you have reached out to Support?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the quick response! I will say that with everything going on in the world currently, if not being able to upload a video is the worst thing that happens, we're all pretty fortunate.

I have been looking through other dates since the issues started and I just checked again and the videos are not there. All of these files are standard videos, ranging from 1-5 minutes. I never received an error message. Each time, it said the upload was complete but the videos never appeared. So I uploaded from the camera straight to my computer's desktop, then tried to upload to the PLUS website. I attempted two ways, clicking and dragging into the upload window as well as browsing and selecting files. Each time, it said the file uploaded successfully, no error messages. Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what chaptered files means.

Thanks again for your help. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @thehip what process are you following for your video files ? I think the ones that you are reporting as failed are "m4v" files. GoPro cameras generate MP4s, so are you using a tool to offload the camera files and reprocess them and then trying to upload them into the cloud ?

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, I see on my desktop they are labeled as m4v. (Again, you'll excuse my ignorance.)If I'm using a tool to offload the camera files, I'm unaware of it; I'm just uploading them to my computer. Can you recommend a better method?

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions as to why they won't upload to the cloud directly from the Hero? Is there a max size they can be? I have run into this with larger videos in the past and so I just ended up deleting those that didn't transfer to clear out space. Timelapses haven't been an issue, neither have photos. 

Highlighted
GoPro

In theory it should work if you just rename the file from m4v to MP4. Can you try that for one, upload and then if it works do it for the others as well.

With regard to the camera, I’ll take a look at what you’ve uploaded so far to see if there are any clues. There are no limits on our end. It is dependent on your upload speed. I can gauge that by looking at a few reasonably large uploads on your account. Let’s get these files in the cloud first and then we can sort out the camera upload.