Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Highlighted
Hiker

Is the "1-Year Subscription" discount really just forcing you to buy a second year at $50 too?

It seems that YES you get a $100 discount on the camera at first, (8 or 9) and YES a "free" 1-year subscription, but if you cancel before that 1-year is up you get charged the full price of the camera, an additional $100, or if you keep the subscription you get charged another year at $50, but get to keep the camera, correct?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Is the "1-Year Subscription" discount really just forcing you to buy a second year at

You don't have to subscribe for a second year to get the discounted price on the camera.

If you decide you don't want to continue your subscription past that first year, you can cancel the subscription during that year. Even if you cancel, you'll still have the subscription for that full year since you're already paid in for that one-year subscription term, so there won't be any difference in the price of the camera that you'd need to pay for.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Is the "1-Year Subscription" discount really just forcing you to buy a second year at

I’ve seen you say this on multiple threads. But if you read their TOS it says if you cancel within the first year you will be charged the full amount for the camera. There’s a popular Reddit thread on a customer that tried exactly this and is dealing with a nightmare with GoPro support.....so the question still stands, when can we cancel the subscription and NOT be charged the full price?!?!
Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm also intrigued to understand this
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

You can cancel the subscription, but when you do that, you still have the subscription for the remainder of the term you've paid for - one year in this case. If you have a subscription for one year, you meet the requirements for this offer.

Highlighted
Tourist

Can we please get a confimration on how the bundle of a Hero 9 and Subscription works.  I appreciate that you pay the yearly subscription and if you cancel it you don't get a refund and your subscription continues until it reaches it's conclusion.

However, the idea that you can buy the bundle and then just cancel the subscritpion seems to be directly contradicted by the section in the purchase screens that says:

"If GoPro subscription is purchased as part of a bundled camera promotopn, customer may cancel the subscription portion of the bundle post purchase and acknowledges they will be changed the full retail price of the camera." 

So, if the above is correct then when I buy the bundle I CAN cancel the subscription but in doing so I am liable for the extra £100 .01?

I guess another question is, how long does the above clause last for? So, for example, can I purchase the bundle, cancel the subscription before the end of the first year and not be laiable for the full retail price, as has been suggested here, but contradicting the above statement?

Equally, can I get the bundle, including the subscription, extend the subscription for an extra two or three years and THEN cancel, would I then find I am still laiable for the full retail price still?

I am not going to buy the new GoPro until there is some real clarity on this and, at the least, a clear statement on the main GoPro web pages (I.E. not just when you reach the final stages of purchasing a product) about how the subscription offer actually works, because right now it's as clear as mud.

GoPro sub clause.PNG
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Exactly, and I appreciate "jefft"s answer, but I think he (intentionally?) leaves out the the scenario we are really asking about; if we cancel the subscription in the first year, but toward the end, but of course before being billed again for another year, does that mean we DON'T meet the requirements of the offer, and therefore WILL be charged for the rest the full-priced camera -?

Highlighted
Tourist

I have just found the following in another page of terms and conditions:

For EU customers only, you will have a 14 day free trial period and may return your subscription, however if you return your subscription within this 14 day period you will fall below the threshold for eligibility for this offer and we will reduce any applicable refund owed to you by the full retail price of the camera and reserve the right to charge your payment method for any remaining balance owed to GoPro.

This seems to indicate that the claim for the remaining value of the camera will only happen (in the EU) if you cancel in the first 14 days, during the free trial. (Which makes sense as that means you'd be getting the camera for just £279 as I assume you'd get the £49.99 back if cancelled within the free trial period.)  The problem is that this is all assumption, as there's no clear indication and all the contradictory information across multiple pages of Terms is just crazy.