Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Hiker

Incredibly slow download speed

[ New ]

Having had major problems with the app crashing, on both iPhone and iPad, I'm trying to download the video from the GoPro cloud to my desktop.  My internet connection is around 70Mbps but the download from GoPro is 3.3Mbps, so roughly 5% of the available.  

This is making the GoPro cloud pretty much unusable, and the app is proving useless to.

Anyone at GoPro listening?

Tourist

Re: Incredibly slow download speed

[ New ]

I agree 100% with the OP.  I have seen this many times in other posts as well.  The highest I've ever seen is 75Mbps and I'm on a 2Gbit fiber connection.   I can pull full speedtests using googlefiber speedtest sites (I'm not on Google fiber though) and have no issues with other services that I know have ample bandwidth.

Overnight the speeds were around 20Mbit and now I'm seeing the 15-20Mbit range.   Not sure what's happening but if this is how the service is intended to work then it's not something I will renew after this year.   

Hiker

[ New ]

It's incredibly frustrating.  The app doesn't work - on iPadOS or iOS - and downloading to edit on a laptop doesn't work either.  All devices are relatively new (iPhones last month, MacBook Air this week, iPad in the last year or so) and running the newest versions of the apps and OS.  Even if I was able to download to a laptop, I lose all the GPS data unless I buy some 3rd party software that enables me to have overlays for gauges, maps, etc.

GoPro

[ New ]

@michaelm88801 @grandwave6302 can you DM me a shared link of what you are trying to download. I'll try and figure out why the downloads are slow.

Tourist

[ New ]

@epicboost16310  it's not the download as I haven't even tried that, just uploading the videos I'm taking w/ the cameras.  My uploads are now averaging about 30Mbit and still trying to upload content for the last 2 days.  This is awful!

GoPro

[ New ]

@michaelm88801 I see your uploads are topping out at about 80 Mbps. What are your speedtest numbers for uploads ? I might reach out to you to get more data once I have that. Also, which services are you comparing this to and what speeds are you getting with those ? I'll take the data and look at our backend logs and then escalate with our infrastructure provider if the data is not in sync with your rated speeds.

As an aside have you tried connecting the camera directly to the cloud ? I am curious if there is a difference in speed there.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Here's all the info requested.   

I have 2gigabit up/down, unrestricted.  Only limitation is my gig to the PC.

I have not tried the camera since it woudl be lmited to my wifi speeds which are theoretically 866Mbps.  The transfer from the desktop should be superior to the camera.

gf_speedtest_030321.png

st_speedtest_030321.png

Tourist

[ New ]

Also in case it matters I started another upload and topping out at 40Mbit now and see that I'm connecting to:

server-13-249-183-47.bos50.r.cloudfront.net

Unless there's some major congestion getting to Boston I don't see why there would be a problem, and it's not like this is intermittent.  It's consistnetly slow.