Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Tourist

GoPro’s 7 Black video stops after just a few seconds, multiple instances of card errors,

[ New ]
After that, reformat attempt get unable to format card batteries die after about 15 minutes. I have lost three memory cards now that cannot be formatted after these failures. I have GoPro plus and I want to replace this piece of junk I have now!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro’s 7 Black video stops after just a few seconds, multiple instances of card errors,

[ New ]

Thanks, @diehardbiker. If the camera has already been manually updated, there is a high chance that the freezing is due to the SD card used. Even f the cards are rated Class 10 and may have worked with the older GoPro models, they may not be compatible with the HERO7 Black. We suggest using one of the recommended cards on this list

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: GoPro’s 7 Black video stops after just a few seconds, multiple instances of card errors,

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @diehardbiker. Is the observed formatting failure happening when done on the camera? Are you able to format the cards on a computer?

Which SD cards have you been able to use/test? Information on brand, type and capacity would be greatly helpful. 

Tourist

[ New ]

The first two cards couldn't be formatted on either. This latest is the third and I haven't tried on the computer yet. However, about an hour after the last error occurred, I was able to record a few secnds worth of test video without reformatting. I haven't had time to do anything else.

I've had two older models, one which I traded in for this one, and NEVER had as many issues as with this hero 7 black. I was even considering trading another one of my older ones for a new hero 8, but since this one has been so bad I've decided to hold off on getting any newer models at all.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve trashed the first two cards as they were unformattable so I don’t have info on them. I’ll reply with info on current card later, as I don’t currently have the camera with me.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the quick response, @diehardbiker. We hope to hear back from you. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I do know that the first card was a 128g and the second was 256g. Unknown brands but they were both class 10’s.
There’s no brand on the current one. I was hesitant to ruin another expensive card so this one was a cheaper off brand.
I’ll send pics. (Update: cannot send pis as it states that extension is invalid.
Tried again just now and got another format error after about 4 or 5 seconds of video. Once again I’m attempting to reformat the card as it says it’s the only way to recover the card. It’s still running at this writing.
Tourist

[ New ]

8B36AF7D-10FC-49D8-A34C-50D0884751CD.png
Tourist

[ New ]

A27AF149-B97E-4D30-BE8D-E8BBF0FE74C3.png
Tourist

[ New ]

4F39E35E-29B4-4D7E-94C9-B5E421C4D211.png
Tourist

[ New ]
Your form doesn’t seem to like the photos I’m trying to post. 🤦‍♂️
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks, @diehardbiker. If the camera has already been manually updated, there is a high chance that the freezing is due to the SD card used. Even f the cards are rated Class 10 and may have worked with the older GoPro models, they may not be compatible with the HERO7 Black. We suggest using one of the recommended cards on this list

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve ordered a new PNY, P-SDUX256U395PRO-GE card. I’ll give this camera one more try. If this doesn’t fix the issue, I’ll be returning the camera for a refund or a new camera. I’m spending too much time working ON the camera and not enough time working WITH it. I’ve missed a lot of good shots because of this.
GoPro

[ New ]

Let us know how it works out, @diehardbiker. Thanks!