Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Sightseer

Can’t upload to GoPro plus cloud

[ New ]
My media won’t upload to GoPro plus cloud, tried multiple times via auto upload and manually upload, won’t go past 0%
Normal 4K videos.
GoPro

Re: Can’t upload to GoPro plus cloud

[ New ]

Hi @biggiepauls

How long are these videos?

Have you tried uploading Photos? Do you observe the same?

What error message are you getting when uploading via GoPro,com?

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

@biggiepauls is this for the filename ending in 82 ? When you use the web uploader what happens ? With the web uploader the first indicator might take some time but after that it should update fairly quickly(depending on your upload speed)

Hiker

[ New ]

I am having the same problem with a MAX.

I have set everything up multiple times and the camera connects to WiFi, logs into my GoPro account and begins to upload but the screen (active/rotating symbol/never freezes) never advances past zero %; no error message.

This occurs with both a camera-initiated auto upload and a manual upload.

Files are both 360 and (mostly) hero; sizes range from a few seconds to the 8:54 segments the camera itself creates.

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun can you try uploading through the web? Try a couple of files so I can see how long its taking and then we can figure out what is going wrong.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say a few files and via the web.

The camera won't let me choose individual files (will it?) and I thought I *was* trying to upload via the web.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry @dustwun . I meant take the SD card out and use a laptop/desktop to upload a couple of files. Will that be possible ? I want to figure out what the upload speed you are getting is.

I took a look at your account and I see that you have a lot of uploads stuck on your iOS app. We don't allow for simultaneous uploads from multiple sources(iOS and camera in your case). Take a look at this page:

https://plus.gopro.com/media-library/upload-status

Clear out the older uploads and then plug in your camera. If you want to use the mobile app, then you need to give the app enough time to upload. So turn off auto-lock, open up the GoPro app and let it sit in the foreground for some time. Also, your upload speed seems to be very low. Can you go to https://fast.com and then click on "Show more info" to get the upload speed.

Hiker

[ New ]

I appreciate your help.

I won't be able to get to that task tonight (almost 9 PM here) but you are correct:  between the camera, the GoPro app, Quik, the way my Mac imports the files and whether I'm using my iPad (preferred) or iPhone, between them all it seems to scatter files randomly between the devices and apps and not in chronological (by date) order.

I'm hesitant to delete anything because I'm not sure what has been saved where (not all of my files are in one place).  Some, but not all, appear to have made it to the cloud (I assume the little cloud with check mark indicates this).

I will try to clean things up tomorrow.

Thank you again.

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun its perfectly fine to use all the mechanisms to upload :-) Just bear in mind what each provides and how it works. In general, the desktop app is the slowest means of download. On the phone/tablet, we are limited by the operating system based on whether the app is in the foreground. Check the upload status page for more information. Hope all this information helps. If you need something, post back here. Tag me if needed.

Hiker

[ New ]

What I discovered by letting my MAX run overnight was that for whatever reason it's connection speed is *VERY* slow:  I thought it was stalling but after letting it go overnight it had advanced to 2 of 45; after letting it run for a couple of days it's down to 3 of 13 and I was able to verify that the files in the cloud account match what is in the camera.

Since it's working, albeit s*l*o*w*l*y, I'm going to let it finish and then try the SD card direct method you recommended.

As for why it is so slow, I don't know.  I have relatively fast internet and it's using the 5G band of my router.

Thank you again.

Hiker

[ New ]

@epicboost16310 

After getting both cams "cleared out" and reformated, I am again trying to upload from the 9 and the MAX via my computer.

What I did:

1.  DLed new footage to my HD.

2.  Went into my account and directed it to upload from the specified folder.

3.  I initially choose 18 items which started ULing last night; two photos went right away and the 3rd, an 809MB file is still downloading after several hours.

Using the computer/web to upload seems to be a push (no pun intended) since it takes a fair amount of time to DL from the cameras to computer and it seems to take just as long to UL from the web to the cloud account.

File currently ULing is 10049.MP4...only 15 to go from this selection, one of which is 1.15GB...and at this rate will take a couple of days to UL.

At this rate, I'm acquiring footage far faster than I can DL to computer and UL to my cloud account.

Thanks,

DUSTWUN

Hiker

[ New ]

I must be doing something wrong as this isn't really working either...in fact it may be worse than trying to UL direct from the cams.

I assume the 809MB file had stalled and stopped it.

Tried again with another 6x3.73GB files from today and...the first one has failed to advance the little blue line in over an hour...but I'll give it a chance.

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun I don't see any large files from the web media library. I see one around 963 MB that has been successfully uploaded. Can you go to the upload status page and see if the files you are uploading from the web are also being attempted from the iOS device ? That will not be allowed by the system. Can you try clearing out all ones in uploading status that you see and then force quit the app on your phone and then try a couple of uploads ? The 983 MB file seems to have gone up approximately between 2-3 Mbps upload speed.

Hiker

[ New ]

I had already performed the actions you previously mentions:  clearing out any "stuck" files from the UL queue.

I attempted to re UL my files but as I said, was unsuccessful:  the ones I tried never seemed to start.

I am currently ULing one file (among several):  it has taken about a day to UL and is currently showing 6 of 7.5GB uploaded.

I checked my internet speed and it ws 5.5-6MBPS.

To recap, so far I have tried camera via WiFi to the cloud account:  it works but is very slow.

I have tried directly from my computer (2020 model MacBook Air with 1TB SSD) to the cloud account and either it would not start or was a slow if not slower than the camera.

The last file which seems to be going OK, but very slowly, is with the camera (9) plugged into the computer.

As for trying to UL more than one thing at a time via more than one method, between GoPro Play and Quik and the cameras themselves, it is hard to tell which one is doing which, but AFAIK the only files ULing right now are via the last method mentioned above:  9 connected directly to the computer and ULing "through" the webpage.

When I look at my media, it shows one new file ULed so I started 4 new/additional files and the first one appears to have started ULing:  it is 434.67MB with 3 additional/larger files in the queue.

Thank you again.

@epicboost16310 

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun let me know when that completes or errors out. Also, on the same computer please go to https://fastly.com and click on "Show more" to get your upload speed. Do you know what your ISP's rated speed is based on the plan that you have from them ? In theory, if your upload speed is 5 Mbps, it should take 3.5 hours for a 7.5 GB file to be uploaded.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

I am having better luck right now:  currently ULing the 

In trying to figure this out I've noticed a disconnect with respect to activity between what Quik says and the web page says.

Right now, under "activity" the web page says "the media you are uploading already exists in your media library" from 2 days ago; I don't think this is true, I have done a lot since then and the message cannot be cleared.

Activity shown by Quik is currently frozen at "1.026/3.7GB, 27% comlete.

Meanwhile, when I first opened this page a new file had just started ULing from the group I started last night...but now I cannot find that "popup" (the one with the spinning status in the upper right corner of the page and the list of files ULing in the lower right.  Additionally, not all of the files from the original list started last night were successfully ULed, so I am restarting the two remaining files (10246 and 20246).

I did go to the speed site you refereenced:  my "purchased" speed is 6.144K; yesterday the reported speed fro is 5.7-6MBPS; it is currently 4.3MBPS.

@epicboost16310 

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun I do see a few uploads coming through from the weekend. But from what I can estimate the speed is very low ~ 1 Mbps or so. One thing I observed was that your desktop app was uploading at the same time as the browser, so that will definitely slow things down. My suggestion to you to isolate the problem is to shut down all the GoPro apps, Quik on the desktop, iOS, the camera and then try an upload from the web browser. That way we'll get a true sense of what your upload bandwidth into the GoPro cloud is.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

OK, I just returned from dinner and it looks like 10246 stalled; I CXLed it and it went on to 20246.

Stopwatch started...

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun I can check times on the cloud, so all you need to do is just start it off :-)

Hiker

[ New ]
Those two files failed again so I restarted my computer, iPad and iPhone so nothing should be running and I am attempting to upload from my HD to the cloud account.

10246 says it has started and the progress bar has actually moved a little.
Hiker

[ New ]

I went to work and came back:  neither file indicated any movement to UL to the cloud.

I'm stuck.

Suggestions/ideas?

Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

@dustwun is it possible for you to try a different network(maybe a neighbor ?) from your laptop and see if its better ? Also, I can trace the requests you are making to the cloud and see if there's something wrong there. This is a somewhat involved process, so I'll need a couple of days to take a look.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry for stepping in, but since I am facing the same issue, thought it would be best not to create a new thread.

I'll try to be as brief as possible:

In the beginning I tried auto upload from the camera but that was stuck at 0% and after trying, resetting and checking the forums, no solution was found so I just gave up, downloaded quik, copied all 34 gb of content to my pc through quik. Then it started uploading and in 30 mins, 126 mb have been uploaded.

Tried pausing and uploading through the browser directly and the speed was the same. Actually tried uploading a short 126 mb vid and after a couple of mins nothing was uploaded.

Checked my speed through speed test: 52 mbps down and 5.2 mbps up. Then tested by uploading to wetransfer which took abt 4 mins.

It all seems that there is some issue with the gopro servers and their speed and it is understandable but given the amount of posts related to these issues, it would be nice to know when and if it will be resolved as it is one of the prime reasons to choose the subscription.

PS: I am using a Hero9 camera.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ridingbeyo627 I'll DM you and get more details.

Hiker

[ New ]

I've given up trying to UL via the computer to the web and am having better luck with the cameras over WiFi...although incredibly slow.

How stupid is this:  since I can't transfer the files I DLed to my computer up to the web (but the cams seem to be working) I'm pulling my videos off of my computer, putting them back on an SD card, putting them back in the cams and letting them do the work.

I'm not glad I not the only one...but you know what I mean.

Smiley Mad