Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Tourist

Auto upload from HERO 9 does not work

[ New ]

Hi,

I have bought a HERO 9 a couple of weeks ago, and have not been able to upload footage from the camera so far. The upload rate is extremely slow. I have made a test with a short video and the upload did work, but for regular footage where each video file has about 3GB, the camera display simply remains for about an hour trying to upload the first item, and then shows "upload error".

Uploading the same file through the web app takes no longer than five minutes.

A couple of troubleshooting info:

- I have already tried to reset the camera do factory settings, as well as just resetting the connections. Problem persists without change.

- I have a stable wi-fi connection at home, hence the upload through the web app worked flawlessly.

- My wi-fi router offers 5GHz signal, and the camera was configured accordingly.

- Don't know where you have servers in Europe. I am currently in Switzerland.

Thanks and best regards,

Henrique

Hiker

Re: Auto upload from HERO 9 does not work

[ New ]

Same problem here. It worked and it stopped working

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @henriquebaron @kyrillos

Can you please check if there are files stuck on upload? Manage Upload Page in Media Library 

While you're signed in via the web, can you also try an upload via the Add Media option?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 ,

I cleared the upload queue before testing the upload. And as I said with the test I made with a smaller file, it works, but the upload rate is absurdly low.

With the larger files which did not work, there was also nothing stuck on the upload queue, since my first upload try is always through the camera, as I arrive home and plug it into the charger.

Regarding uploads through the web app: as mentioned, the upload through the web works fine and the uploads do not take more than a couple of minutes.

Best regards,

Henrique

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the details shared.@henriquebaron

We'll post back for updates.

Tourist

[ New ]

Any updates on the solution, @aragon1006 ? Tested today and the upload on the camera is still slow and gets interrupted in the middle with "upload error" on the camera display. Tried the "Manual upload" option on the camera three times, without success.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I also have this problem, also in Switzerland. My first couple of videos I made a few months ago uploaded but nothing since. There is nothing in the upload manager.

My Mac, phone and camera are all on the same fast Wifi network. I've looked for lots of fixes on different message boards but no luck. Considering returning it as this is too much time wasted.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @henriquebaron @peters63560

I have just tested a manual upload for a couple of files and it was all successful.

Can you please try using a different browser or go on incognito mode?

Regarding the auto-upload, can you please check if the app is on version 8.5?

Reset the camera then set up auto-upload again.

Let us know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 ,

For the third time, the upload from the browser works fine.

Resetting the camera and reconfiguring the auto upload, as well as trying to do a manual upload from the camera, are things that I have already tried after searching for this problem in other forums. For large files (i.e. > 1GB) it does not work either.

GoPro Quik App is in version 8.5 (5140), latest available version from the App Store.

@peters63560 I am also considering cancelling my subscription to GoPro Plus. If I have to connect the camera to my laptop after arriving home, it's easier to simply upload everything directly to my OneDrive.

GoPro

[ New ]

@henriquebaron I do see the problem(I don't necessarily know the cause :-) ) The uploads from your web media library seem to be going at about 80 Mbps while from the camera are about 1/4th of it. Is there a difference in your connection between the two ? Is your desktop hardwired to your network ? Can you try going to "https://fast.com" on your mobile browser and click on "Show more info" to get the upload speed and try the same on your desktop as well ? The endpoint that both mechanisms(desktop and camera) hit are the same. So, there should be no difference in the egress from your network. Let me know what you find and I can help debug this.

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

@peters63560 do you know what your upload speed is ? Go to https://fast.com and click on "Show more info" to get it. There is some variability in your upload speed from what I can see, so I'll need some more data. The last speed that I can definitively look at seems to be going up between 5-10 Mbps. I don't see any more media files after April 3rd though and am not quite sure if that is because of the problems you have been having. If you provide me with data I can take a look and try and figure out the issue.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @epicboost16310 , thanks for your reply.

Both the laptop (which uploaded at 80 Mbps) and my Hero 9 are connected to the same wireless network. According to https://fast.com the download speed of this network is 280 Mbps, and the upload goes at 350 Mbps. 

Today I made some new footage with the camera, and since I noticed that you're able to see how fast the camera uploaded, I have made the following to get you some data. I had a couple of pictures, which uploaded instantaneously, and seven videos:

• With the camera connected to the above mentioned wireless network, using 5GHz bandwidth, the upload was going slow and at some point I've got an upload error. No video was successfully uploaded.
  • Changed the camera settings to use 2.4 GHz bandwidth, and connected it to the 2.4 GHz network of my appartment, which runs from the same router of the 5 GHz signal network. Upload also running slow, but 5 videos were uploaded without errors. I aborted on the 6th to make another test.
  • Kept the camera setting at 2.4 GHz, and connected the camera to the wireless hotspot of my mobile phone. Same behavior as the previous test: slow upload, but the remaining 2 videos were uploaded successfully. The download speed of my mobile data connection is 110 Mbps, and the upload rate is 47 Mbps.

So, even on two independent networks, the upload rate is equally slow. Is it possible that the problem is on the camera firmware somehow? 

Have you released a new firmware version after @peters63560 managed to upload videos properly from the camera a couple of months ago?

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @henriquebaron for the test. I actually estimate the upload speed based on data I see in the cloud, so its not exact but its proven to be very close based on my experience with other users :-) From the camera, we actually have 4 uploads in parallel. From the files that you uploaded last, it appears to be coming in at about 20 Mbps across all the files(which is half of what you have as your stated upload speed) I will need to debug this further and get others on my team(and probably ask other teams) to look at it. It is interesting that the speed from the camera seems to be capped at 20 Mbps irrespective of your egress speed. I'll have someone take a look at your actual upload logs and also reach out to the camera team to see if there are any caps on the transfer.

Thanks

ps - This is a long weekend in the US because of memorial day, so I'll get back to you by Wednesday of next week.

GoPro

[ New ]

@henriquebaron unfortunately it appears that you are at the max of what the camera can upload at currently. Let me know if I can help with figuring out a workflow that works keeping this in mind.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @epicboost16310 

Thanks for the reply. Well, it seems a bit odd that the camera is designed to support 5 GHz wireless connections but has its upload speed capped at modest 20 Mbps. 

But if that's a limitation of the camera, well... I don't think there's much more to be done.

GoPro

[ New ]

@henriquebaron actually our tests have shown it go upto 30-35 Mbps. Without physically being where you are, it is very difficult for me to ascertain why you are facing challenges beyond 20-25 Mbps :-( There are too many external factors outside of our control in play. In the US, symmetric download/upload is not available as easily as it is elsewhere in the world and with everyone working remotely, this is very hard to test. I have a 40 Mbps down/10 Mbps up link at home. If I get more information on this, I'll let you know.

Thanks