Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Subscribe to GoPro
Hiker

Attention: GoPro fraudulent business practice on sales taxes

[ New ]

I am a subscriber of GoPro Plus, now called "Subscription", for almost 3 years (..and a loyal GoPro customer for over 10 years, since the HeroHD). That said, this is what I have to deal with..

I never had a request for camera replacement until January this year. In the T&C's GoPro states that the replacement fee for the Hero 8 is $79, that's it. And this is also what the customer service told me. Thus, I gave permission to charge me $79.

However, a few weeks later I noticed that GoPro had charged me $116.91 instead of $79!! - Overcharge $37.91, which is over 50% more.

According to the invoice which I requested later they charge me 9.5% sales tax - not just on the $79, they did on MSRP of $399 (!!).

GoPro, why are you charging me sales tax??

I already paid sales tax on my initial camera purchase. This is a replacement, NOT an additional purchase of a 2nd camera.

So, I reached out to the GoPro customer service like 3-4 times, and nobody in charge got back to me. I am still waiting for a refund. 

GoPro

Re: Attention: GoPro fraudulent business practice on sales taxes

[ New ]

Hello, @jenzeee. Support has already provided an explanation regarding this matter. Should you need further assistance, it would be best to continue working with our Support team. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

mariustanya - did you read my post thoroughly?

The only response I received was from the Support Team (call center out of country) claiming that the sales tax charge was "correct", see attched at the end. I followed up on this but no further actions, also no response from corporate. After that, I had at least two more attemps (!!) for of this matter which ran into nowhere, as usual.

Your sales tax charge for the camera repair/replacement is UNLAWFUL and thus a fraudulant business practise.

If you don't feel to deal with it, no problem I am going to file a complaint at the BBB.

-----

"Hi Jens,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding this billing question.

We take steps to ensure that we are transparent when it comes transactions, and We’ll be happy to look into things. After reviewing your order, it appears that the correct tax was charged to your credit card.

GoPro is a public company and is appropriately registered and collects and remits sales tax in the jurisdictions where it does business.

And we have a dedicated Tax Team who ensures GoPro charges tax in accordance with local state and government laws. Customer Support is not trained or involved in the particulars of taxation but I assure you the correct tax has been charged for your order.

I hope this puts any questions or concerns you had regarding your order to rest.

Many Thanks,
 GoPro Support"

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello, is anybody from GoPro now looking into my case, or do I really have to file a complaint at the Better Business Bureau??

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Order # SO-3345891