Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
3400 Feet Above Puget Sound
[ Edited ]

Parts of the video are nice and colorful, and when I have the sun in front of me the colors go dark. I am dangled obver 3400 feest in the air to get this footage, help me make it better.  I am using Hero4 black but also own a couple Hero6 Black cameras as well.  Also considering a gimble mounted on my helmet.

[video]

Nathan and I flew our paramotors over Eglon in Kitsap County Wa. This was the most scenic flight I have been on yet. At altitude (I went to 3464 ft) a nice gentle wind helped keep us aloft as we gazed at the ships coming down through the straight of Juan De Fuca to Puget Sound (Salish Sea).
Explorer
Re: 3400 Feet Above Puget Sound
The issue you're having is with light metering. When you're looking out over the horizon, towards the sun, the camera is darkening the picture to compensate for the bright sunlight. This is then causing the ground to be underexposed.

It's generally better to underexpose than to overexpose as you can always brighten video in your editor and recapture some some detail. Overexposed footage cannot be recovered. Depending on the camera you are using and you're editor and committee grading skill, there are a couple ways to address this.

First, if keeping the ground well exposed is most important to you, then using the Hero6 Black is the easiest fix. Press on the back of the LCD until a large white box shrinks into a smaller one. The small box becomes the area the camera uses to meter light balancing. Place the box on the bottom of the screen and then press the check mark. Using this option will cause the sky to become brighter when the camera is metering for the darker ground, but it will keep the exposer bright enough to keep the ground well lit. If you want to keep the sky from getting blown out and too bright, do the opposite and put the box in the upper portion of the LCD. You want it to fall approximately to where the sun will be in the shot. Personally, I prefer the second option where the ground will be dark but the sky is not blown out. If you have a decent editor, you can brighten the image. If you use key frames, you can adjust the brightness according to where you are looking.

The second option can be done with either camera. Turn Protune on and use the following settings:
Shutter: Auto
EV Comp: -1
ISO Max: 100-200 (Hero6) 400 (Hero4)
WB: I prefer to set this manually but you can use Auto
Sharp: Medium or Low
Color: Flat

Your image isn't going to look great out of the camera, but if you use an editor like DaVinci Resolve (Best color grading editor), you can make it look great. If you don't already have DaVinci Resolve, get it. It's free and the best professional color grading software available.
Sightseer

Dear,

I am using the Hero5 Black and use the camera in the cockpit of an airplane. I had exactly the same problem and I was able to solve it by using the FREEWELL HERO5 BLACK ND FILTER 4-PACK. Here is a link to this pack: https://freewellgear.com/gopro-hero5-black-accessories/113-hero5-black-nd-filter-4-pack.html. It consists of 4 filters and you select the filter based on the lighting conditions. For example ND4 is used during cloudy day , ND8 partly cloudy day , ND16 for normal sunny day , ND32 for good sunny day. The result is very good.

Kind regards, Johan.

Sightseer

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely give it a try.

Sightseer
Johan - That sounds like it might work. Thanks!
Explorer
The polar pro venture pack might work better with the gradient filter.