Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

why won't my gp charge continuously

When driving long distance i'd like to power my GP (5-black) with a cord plued into the usb in my car.  But it will not charge, as soon as the battery goes dead the camera shuts off.  even when plugged in via cable.  Is this normal?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: why won't my gp charge continuously

Hi @rbbertd

Do you notice if the camera gets warm?

Are you getting any icons on the screen before it goes off?

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down.

The camera stops recording, saves your video, disconnects from the GoPro App, and powers off.

If this happens, let your camera sit and cool before attempting to use it again.

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Ej, 

Thanks, I appreciate the responce. But I'm still looking for an answer to why I can't run my GP 5 Black with it connected to a power port?  Once the battery goes down the camera shuts off.  Yep, it's usually VERY hot (seems to run hot ALL the time!), and I get all kinds of messages before shut down (hot camera, low battery, sd card problem, etc.  nothing consistent).  

I'd like to run my GP connected to a charging port so I can record continuously during 5+ hour drives or motorcycle rides.  But I seem to be limited to however long a battery will last and it's never consistent.  And who really wants to carry a pocket full of spare batteries?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @rbbertd,

May I know if you're using the USB port for multimedia or the port that needs a USB adapter (Cigarette lighter port)? 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've tried using both.  My car has usb ports built in, tried them didn't work.  Bought a $30 samsung cigarette lghter usb adapter, didn't work.  Tried a "battery Tender" adapter on the bike,didn't work.  Nothing seems to work with this GP.  Do you have a GP 5  black that works with a cord?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @rbbertd

The temperature of the camera can be the main reason why it shuts down.

Just for isolation, take the battery out, plug the camera and do some test recordings.

See if the same will happen.

May I also know what SD card you're using? 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm using a ScanDisk Ultra 200GB sd card.  Haven't tried running it without battery, but plugged in.  Will try that today.  Thanks

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @rbbertd,

Please change your SD card to a recommended SD card. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Regards,

-Jay