Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

water proof case and “shorty” stick

just bought my new go pro hero 6 with “shorty” bundle. wondering if i can use my standard case “housing” and my shorty selfie stick under water?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: water proof case and “shorty” stick

If you rinse them with clean water they should be fine. You can use a standard long thumb screw instead of the screw that comes with the Shorty if you want. I've been using GoPro gear in the ocean for years. If you don't clean and allow the dry (remove the screw during drying) you can get a little rust or build up, but nothing that can't be cleaned up.

Just remember, thoroughly rinse with clean water (distilled is best). I usually rinse mine and then fill the sink and let everything soak for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse one last time and allow to air dry.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Yes, the Shorty is fine in water and the camera is waterproof to 10 meters in the standard housing. Be sure to rinse all of them off thoroughly in clean water when you are done. Also, always double check the doors that they are sealed properly before going under water.

The Handler (floating hand held stick) is a better option since it will float your camera to the surface in case you drop it. A Floaty with new housing back door (included with Floaty) is also an option.
Highlighted
Sightseer

thanks. so the screw wont rust or affect the hinge? and the clips on the housing too??
Highlighted
Explorer

If you rinse them with clean water they should be fine. You can use a standard long thumb screw instead of the screw that comes with the Shorty if you want. I've been using GoPro gear in the ocean for years. If you don't clean and allow the dry (remove the screw during drying) you can get a little rust or build up, but nothing that can't be cleaned up.

Just remember, thoroughly rinse with clean water (distilled is best). I usually rinse mine and then fill the sink and let everything soak for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse one last time and allow to air dry.
Highlighted
Sightseer

cool. cheers mate. thanks for the tip.