Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Anonymous

Re: smart remote not powering on

I had the same problem with a brand new unit straight out of the box.  No screen response at all when connected to charge cable.  I was livid, however found a tip on YouTube.   The charger contacts aren't long enough/have enough spring force to make effective contact.  

Fix: Get a tiny piece of aluminium foil, scrunch it up and pop one on top of each contact of the remote. Then re insert the charge cable.  The foil takes up the gap and mine then came to life and charged fine. Worked for me. No problems with the remote once I got it charged.

Having to do this every time when I need to charge will be highly frustrating.  Hoping Gopro will redesign the cable contacts.  Come on guys, we pay top dollar for accessories, they need to be better than this. I'll be writing to look for a resolution to this annoying issue. 

Anonymous

I too had the exact same problem and after reading your suggestion to clean the contacts I looked at them and sure enough they were all corroded after being in the ocean salt water. I clean them with rubbing alcohol and now it is charging and working normally. I really appreciate the suggestion on how to fix.
Anonymous

Any update on this?  I have the same problem!

Anonymous

Any fix to

The remote only power on when connected with the usb cable. As soon as it's disconnected it shut off

What can I do ?

Anonymous

I have had 2 failures over the period of 18 months, I think it's an issue with the battery especially when not used for a while.

Latest issue is as many are having, only shows power when connected (actually shows full bat) then when removed shows no battery and therefor does not work.

GoPro have been great at sorting me out warantees, here we go just about to get Smart Remote number 3. Most annoyin thing is that without this I'm forced to trawl through hours of footage and pics as my GoPro is mounted in my kitesurfing lines or sometimes Kite. Remote does the job so well when it works!

Lew

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Any fix to

The remote only power on when connected with the usb cable. As soon as it's disconnected it shut off

What can I do ?

Hi,

I have the same problem. Any idea how to solve it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi guys, contact GoPro via the Support section,

They will send you a knew one they have been very good with me with the Smart Remote.

Lew

Anonymous

Mine also had this issue, had a close look at the contacts on device and charging cable. Found one of the charging pads on the remote had slight damage to the surface of gold pad (if it is Gold material) I have tried to gently scratch the bad contact with a small sharp knife, and this seems to work for me. I think the tin foil idea is ok as it would make a better contact surface area to the pad, but this will retain water (salt or freash) and and the problem of corrosion will increase. I think there could be a product used to repair printed circuit boards which stickes on and could be a more reliable solution. But this is not tested and im about to do more investigation on its merit.

Graeme