Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Anonymous

smart remote not powering on

[ New ]

Hi,

My gopro smart remote is not powering ON. I'm tried to charged it but still it won't turn ON. there's nothing on the screen even when I charge it. Where can I send it for repair? I'm staying here at SIngapore. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous

Re: smart remote not powering on

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

Glad to hear your remote came back to life after cleaning the contacts. They can get dirty if left open to the environment. Keeping the metal key ring connected helps protect the contacts from dirt and debris. 

Hope you capture some awesome footage!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]
Sorry to hear that. So when your charge your remote it doesn't even show a charging status? Try resetting and pairing the remote by holding the power button and mode button for about 20 sec and see if it powers on. Hopefully it does. This page says how to reset the remote same steps I said. How to reset smart remote: https://gopro.com/support/articles/how-to-reset-the-smart-remote If this doesn't help you can see gopros repair and warranty page here: http://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Warranty-Information
ChrisEditing_GoPro Support_Remote Reset.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

What kind of acitvities or enviornment do you use the Smart Remote in? If it has been around salt water then I high recommend cleaning off the bottom gold contact points with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohole. If there is any salt or other debris on these points it could prevent the charge from taking place. 

Additionally, @chrisediting also provided above steps to reset the Remote. Let us know how everything turned out.

Cheers,

Eric G 

GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Anonymous

[ New ]

I wish I would have seen this post before contacting support. I was informed by a rep to clean off my contact points because the visibly had salt residue on them. This charging took place the next go around. I suggest trying that. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the exact same issue

I contacted support via chat and they told me that it was the wall charger I was using to charge it. But I charged it via a laptop. When that didnt work, I used a wall charger

seems like an excuse for a faulty product. My wall charger was a 5v 1A in specs. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Both cleaning and reset worked for me. Thanks for the tips. :)
Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem with my remote control.

After cleaning out he charging contacts it came back to life....

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

Glad to hear your remote came back to life after cleaning the contacts. They can get dirty if left open to the environment. Keeping the metal key ring connected helps protect the contacts from dirt and debris. 

Hope you capture some awesome footage!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'am having the same exact problem with my smart remote. Last August I was in Antigua and did a lot of snorkling and other water (salt water at that) activities and during that time I had no issues with the remote, it charged perfectly and performed underwater as well as expected but when I returned home after the trip the remote just seemed to die. It will not charge regardless of how I attempt to charge it i.e. laptop or wall plug. I tried cleaning the gold connections with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and still nothing but I had no idea how to reset the device until reading this article so I will give that a go when I arrive home. Thanks in advance for another trick that might fix my rather expensive and seldomly used remote. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have cleaned both connectors on the remote itself, and it worked! Thank you!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have this same problem as well and it has happened for the 3rd time now in about 3 months. How do you clean out the charging port area without ruining the remote? I am leaving for vacation and was hoping to use a remote that I spent $80 on. Very unsatisfied so far. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous,

If there is any kind of debris on the gold charging ports then you will want to use a cotton swab and alcohol to clean this area off. Many users have found this to work

Cheers,

Eric G 

Community Moderator

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi. I have the same problem right now with my smart remote.. I tried cleaning it but its not working. Not powering on and no sign of charging. I dont know what to do know. Someone can help me????

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have one it got really hot one day and now it don't charge or turn on 
i went out and purchased a new one 

after reading this i was never around salt water and i cleaned the conections still no go 

could it be a bad battery if so how do you change them 

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous,

If you were experiencing a problem with the battery Remote then I would have advised reaching out to GoPro Support ASAP. This goes for any electronic device experiencing an issue because there should be a warranty attached to the product. 

As for the Smart Remote, there is not a way to change out the internal battery. Not sure if it is a bad battery but hit up Support and see if thye can offer additonal help. 

Cheers,

Eric G

Anonymous

[ New ]

The remote only power on when connected with the usb cable. As soon as it's disconnected it shut off

What can I do ?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem with a brand new unit straight out of the box.  No screen response at all when connected to charge cable.  I was livid, however found a tip on YouTube.   The charger contacts aren't long enough/have enough spring force to make effective contact.  

Fix: Get a tiny piece of aluminium foil, scrunch it up and pop one on top of each contact of the remote. Then re insert the charge cable.  The foil takes up the gap and mine then came to life and charged fine. Worked for me. No problems with the remote once I got it charged.

Having to do this every time when I need to charge will be highly frustrating.  Hoping Gopro will redesign the cable contacts.  Come on guys, we pay top dollar for accessories, they need to be better than this. I'll be writing to look for a resolution to this annoying issue. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I too had the exact same problem and after reading your suggestion to clean the contacts I looked at them and sure enough they were all corroded after being in the ocean salt water. I clean them with rubbing alcohol and now it is charging and working normally. I really appreciate the suggestion on how to fix.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Any update on this?  I have the same problem!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Any fix to

The remote only power on when connected with the usb cable. As soon as it's disconnected it shut off

What can I do ?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have had 2 failures over the period of 18 months, I think it's an issue with the battery especially when not used for a while.

Latest issue is as many are having, only shows power when connected (actually shows full bat) then when removed shows no battery and therefor does not work.

GoPro have been great at sorting me out warantees, here we go just about to get Smart Remote number 3. Most annoyin thing is that without this I'm forced to trawl through hours of footage and pics as my GoPro is mounted in my kitesurfing lines or sometimes Kite. Remote does the job so well when it works!

Lew

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Any fix to

What can I do ?

Hi,

I have the same problem. Any idea how to solve it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi guys, contact GoPro via the Support section,

They will send you a knew one they have been very good with me with the Smart Remote.

Lew

Anonymous

[ New ]

Mine also had this issue, had a close look at the contacts on device and charging cable. Found one of the charging pads on the remote had slight damage to the surface of gold pad (if it is Gold material) I have tried to gently scratch the bad contact with a small sharp knife, and this seems to work for me. I think the tin foil idea is ok as it would make a better contact surface area to the pad, but this will retain water (salt or freash) and and the problem of corrosion will increase. I think there could be a product used to repair printed circuit boards which stickes on and could be a more reliable solution. But this is not tested and im about to do more investigation on its merit.

Graeme

Anonymous

[ New ]

This might be an answer when all else has failed, I might give this a try.

silver conductive glue / paste for electronics repair applications

Anonymous

[ New ]
I happend to throw mine on the ground and run it over and that seems to help
Anonymous

[ New ]

Anyone have this problem recently?

Also if anyone check with gopro whats the cost of repairing it when its out of warranty?

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having the the same problem but I can't get the remote to turn on at all to do the reset. I do fish salt water. Please help
Anonymous

[ New ]

Just FYI.  The power and mode button is the same button.  When my smart remote locked up I held just that single button for 10 seconds and the smart remote reset itself.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for the tip, the reset worked like a charm for me.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks, this worked for me!

Tourist

[ New ]

I just bought one and have thesame problem, when I shut off the cable from my laptop its turn off and can´t turn on or restart

Anonymous

[ New ]
Resetting helped but man what an irritating bug.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I got my remote last Friday and was hoping to use it on a motorcycle ride Saturday. D.O.A.!  The tin foil trick worked for me. So this is clearly a simple problem that, astoundingly, has not yet been fixed by GoPro. Apparently, the cost of handling returns is cheaper than correcting the manufacturing defect. I hope GoPro is listening.

On another frustrating note: I go to the GoPro support web site where it says "chat support is available to GoPro customers 24/7". It's 5:20 PM Sunday in California. I fill out the form, click submit, the page refreshes with "chat closed". At the bottom of the page is a list of GoPro's business hours.

Capture.PNG
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you for your advices. My remote control was used in sea water and was not rinsed with fresh water after. It looks like some salt was on the contacts and battery was not been able to be charged. After I cleaned the contacts and reset the remote according to instructions, now it looks like the remote control is back in bussines again. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

YES!!!! Thanks, this worked after trying everything!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks for this - keen to hear how you go in your "post-foil" resolution
Anonymous

[ New ]

if you don't have "rubbing alcohol" try lighter fluid

Seriously, I was super skeptical, I had already scraped my connection with the tip of a sharp knife they looked pretty shiny to me.  And my remote is a bit old so maybe lithium battery just bought it from undercharge.  I used a "ear cleaner" and just squirted a bit of butane on it from a can of lighter gas and really scrubbed.  1 - it came up filthy black 2 it worked!  Thank you GoPro support!

Anonymous

[ New ]

thanks it worked great for me 

Anonymous

[ New ]
My gopro remo voice control not working. Never been used. What should i do?
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Press and hold the power button for a few seconds. If it doesn't power on, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I suddenly started having the same problem.  I gave the contacts a quick clean and pow........back to life just like that!! 

Thanks guys.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hola soy de Mexico,  llevaba tres meses sin poder usarlo, limpie las superficies doradas con algodon y vodka y prendio, muchas gracias por los tips

Anonymous

[ New ]

Cleaning the contacts with some alcohol and a wooden toothpick worked for me to get the remote back charging.

Hiker

[ New ]

This worked for me too!  Make sure to clean BOTH sets of contacts.  I had to clean the contacts on the charging adapter also before it would work!

Thanks ericgonz!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

I didn't have any 'rubbing alcohol'. First I tried mouthwash and then nail polish remover and neither worked. Then I tried Cilit Bang Limescale remover and this worked. Soon after I plugged in the remote for charging, the red light came on and charging indicator on the screen appeared.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Use this video! Worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WQoU13WuxQ

No credit to myself.

Hey PEOPLE!Welcome To another video in my channel!In this video, I gonna show you how to fix your GoPro WI-FI Remote if it dosnet working from any reason!If ...
Tourist

[ New ]

followed steps mentioned re: pressing mode and power buttons for 20 sec.....it worked. thanks

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello,

i have 2 remote's because 1 did not load. then number 2 got the same issue.

it has to do with salt residue on the contacts but cleaning only somethimes helps.

often i have to clean it several times. connect and reconnect. big bummer.

i agree with several other guys that gopro should redesign the contactpoint. its clear the are the problem!

come on gopro, help us make good use of an otherwise great product.

greetings Marc

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for the feedback. We will add this to the previous information that we have shared with the team. As for the two remote controls that you have that are not working, our Support team will be able to help with it. You can connect with them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius