Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

max lens mod photo resolution only 12mp?

[ New ]

could not find any information about following topic:

is the maximum photo resolution with the max lens mod cut to 12 MP Jpegs? my photos with max lens mod are only 4000x3000px, no documentation found yet...

Hiker

Betreff: max lens mod photo resolution only 12mp?

[ New ]

some more questions concerning max lend mod(e):

Why is there only ONE preset per mode? I need several different presets: f.e. one with horizon leveling on, one with leveling off. also some different protune settings locked in as presets. As of now, it's not possible to add more than one preset nor to change these things with the remote, only through menu access... will there be more presets possible with next firmware update?

Also I get a annoying fog circle in the middle of the max lens mod. Videos where this appears are not usable anymore. Any way of getting rid of that?

GoPro

Re: Betreff: max lens mod photo resolution only 12mp?

[ New ]

Thank you for the questions, @haegar41. We checked with the Product Team and they indicated that the resolution should be the same whether or not the Max Lens Mod is in use. We are still waiting for more information on this seeing that you get a different set of resolutions with and without the Mod. 

We will post back once we have new information on the ability to add more presets for the different modes with the mod. There is information on getting rid of lens fogging at Lens Fogging that you may check out. 

Hiker

[ New ]

thanks for the answer @mariustanya . 

I double checked the file size of my max lens mod pictures, and they are definitely only 4000x3000px in size. When I take the max lens mod off, the pics are 5184x3888px.

Just made another test, so obviously resolution is NOT the same with MaxLens Mod(e):

Max Lens Mod mounted, Max Lens Mode ON, Superview: 4000x3000px

Max Lens Mod mounted, Max Lens Mode ON, Wide View: 3504x2624px

Max Lens Mod NOT mounted,, Max Lens Mode ON: 4000x3000px

Max Lens Mod NOT mounted, Max Lens Mode OFF, Wide View: 5184x3888px

Max Lens Mod mounted, Max Lens Mode OFF: 5184x3888px (circular fisheyeview)

Can the Product Team confirm that? To me it seems as activating the MaxLens Mode is shrinking the file size to max 12mp

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya some more "things/concerns" about the max lens mod(e):

-Why is there no burst or serial mode in max lens photo mode? would be really useful to get these features for max lens as well (together with multiple presets!)

-Horizon leveling for photos does a bad job, only about 50% of my photos are actually leveled.

-Can your product team confirm the minimized/resized photo resolution with the max lens mode on?

So the gopro 9 is out since half a year and there's still so much bugs and missing features in the software, especially for the max lens mod. Do you have a timeplan on when these features will get adapted/implemented?

Hiker

[ New ]

your link about the lens fogging unfortunately does not help at all for the gopro 9/max lens mod as the anti-fog inserts have to be put inside a housing. there's no more housing for the hero 9, or is there?

GoPro

[ New ]

@haegar41. No, there is no housing for when the Max Lens Mod is installed. The last tip on the list would help. 

• To help speed removal of the fogging, remove the Protective Lens/Max Lens Mod and open the battery door in a low-humidity environment (ensure the camera lens is safe during this time). Once traces of fogging have cleared, simply re-attach the Protective Lens/Max Lens Mod. 
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @mariustanya .

Are there any news concerning the reduced photo resolution with Max Lens Mode enabled? Any update on future implementation of more than one preset with Max Lens Mode? Burst or serial mode in Max Lens Mode?

There's a delay of 1-2 seconds after pressing the record button on the remote until the Gopro actually takes a picture (With Max Lens Mode enabled, there's less delay without max lens mode...). Any news on that?

will there be any new firmware update soon?

Hope to get rid of Hero 9 problems soon :)