Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

how do I adjust the angle of the Hero 8 helmet mount?

[ New ]

I have a HERO 8 Black.  The mounting bracket slips into the helmet attachment for my older GoPro. But...

My older GoPro mounting bracket could be adjusted to a variety of angles.  The Hero 8 Black just sees to have one fixed position. And unless the helmet attachment is glued on at exactly the right angle, then the Hero 8 won't be pointed in the right direction (too far up or too far down).

Am I missing something?  It is not practical to fine tune the angle by removing and re-gluing the helmet attachment.  How do I adjust the angle so that the Hero 8 is optimally pointed?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: how do I adjust the angle of the Hero 8 helmet mount?

[ New ]

Hello @coolhero84475. The mounting fingers on the HERO8 Black should work in the same way as the frame used for the older model cameras. Could it be the quick release buckle used? The one that comes with the camera package has a fixed angle but the Swivel Mount allows you to make adjustments or swivel your GoPro 360° without having to stop and un-mount your camera. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @coolhero84475. The mounting fingers on the HERO8 Black should work in the same way as the frame used for the older model cameras. Could it be the quick release buckle used? The one that comes with the camera package has a fixed angle but the Swivel Mount allows you to make adjustments or swivel your GoPro 360° without having to stop and un-mount your camera. 

Tourist

[ New ]

No, it's not the quick release buckle.

I figured the problem out myself (eventually).  The HERO 8 comes with Mounting Buckle attached to the Folding Fingers on the bottom of the camera unit.  There is also a black plastic tab connected to the Mounting Buckle (the Thumb Screw goes through the Mounting Buckle, the Folding Fingers, AND this extra black plastic tab.  That extra black plastic tab fixes the camera angle, and prevents it from being adjusted, presumably for display purposes.

I finally noticed that thhis extra black plastic tab has "REMOVE" printed on it.  The problem is that this tab is never mentioned in the quickstart guide or the product manual. Nothing tells the user to remove this, or that it even exists. 

If the new user justs follows the GoPro instructions, the user will never remove this.  The product documentation needs to be corrected, so that users see this plastic tab needs to be removed before the unit is mounted.

I previously uploaded a photo that shows this tab (it has right angles on the top, that prevent the camera from swivelling). When I sent that photo, I did not realize the tab was not a permanent part of the Mounting Buckle, and needed to be removed. 

Again, GoPro should make that more obvious, or at least refer to it somewhere in the product documentation.

Regards,

Kevin Brown

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thank you SO MUCH. I was trying to figure out how people decided just what angle to use, since it couldn't be adjusted, and stumbled over your post pointing out the removable part. At first I thought you were talking about the rubber tab below, which didn't seem right because that actually has a purpose (and wouldn't help to remove it), but your post prompted me to look closely, and that's when I saw the hard plastic bit labeled "remove". Now I can adjust the angle as desired.