Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

hero9 Max Lens mod - lost the front lens cap..

[ New ]

Is there a way to order a replacement lens cap for the max lens mod on the Hero 9?

GoPro

Re: hero9 Max Lens mod - lost the front lens cap..

[ New ]

Hi @wbradorr

Are you referring to the protective caps?

This part is not sold separately.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I also need one of these because mine was lost. Is there any chance that gopro will make them available?

Tourist

[ New ]

+1

Lost mine on the slopes today and chatted with support. They said they don't have spares, even for sale. Definitely an oversight.

After more Googling, I found a reviewer on Amazon who says the lens cap with this product works with the Max Lens Mod. I'm going to buy it and test it out. Will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/VGSION-Protective-Silicone-Sleeve-Lanyard/dp/B08K99HR6D

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks, I did see this one and wasn’t sure about it. Please let me know how it works. I am really surprised that GoPro wouldn’t make these and sell them. It seems like something that would be good to have a few extra of and someone is making them for them. Hopefully they make a replacement available at some point.
Tourist

[ New ]

thats good news.. I would appreciate feedback on the fit once you get it and try it out.

Tourist

[ New ]

@swissless wrote:

+1

Lost mine on the slopes today and chatted with support. They said they don't have spares, even for sale. Definitely an oversight.

After more Googling, I found a reviewer on Amazon who says the lens cap with this product works with the Max Lens Mod. I'm going to buy it and test it out. Will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/VGSION-Protective-Silicone-Sleeve-Lanyard/dp/B08K99HR6D

Update: fit is not very good. It's only ~5 mm deep, whereas the OEM one is probably ~10 mm deep. And with the bulge of the Max Lens Mod, you only get a mm or two holding it onto the camera. It's fine for storage if something will be pressing up against it to told it on, but it would fall off almost instantly in your pocket. Not ideal. I'm going to keep it just for storage purposes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks and this is good to know. I will hold off on buying this. There may be a way to 3d print one but I find it absurd that gopro would not make these available.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am wondering why gopro would not make this part available. It is in production somewhere and definitely something that your customers would want. I was quite surprised to be told that getting a replacement would not be possible when I contacted support. Is there a reason why you could not make this part available?

Tourist

[ New ]

My best guess is that the lens caps get manufactured at the same time/place as the lens, and no one thought to make either one separately. So the only lens caps that exist are the ones that come packaged with the Max Lens Mod. Just an oversight in terms of maintenance and supply chain.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I 'almost' lost mine yesterday.  Thankfully was able to find it by going back down the same run again -  which is very lucky.  I also think it is insane not to make a spare available to purchase.  Sigh....

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, I have the same problem. I lost my front lens cap.

I talked to GoPro and they don't have a solution for that. We hope to appear on sale separately in the future. It is quite important for the lens, because of their shape.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro needs to fix this nonsense.

If someone loses the media mod windscreen, or a lens cap, you should not have to buy the entire item to replace those.

Give me a break.

Sightseer

[ New ]

anyone have skills with a 3D printer?  Seems like a ninjaflex printed thing could totally do the job.  

Tourist

[ New ]
I absolutely agree. It makes no sense and nobody there is listening. I was pretty into the camera and buying accessories when I got the hero 9 but this has really turned me off to them as a company. I actually didn’t know about the windscreen. It shouldn’t be hard for them to make these products available. I would probably buy a few extras just to have them.
Sightseer

[ New ]
+1 for losing this cap on the slopes Second time out with it. Spent ages trying to get an answer from gopro who eventually told me they were out of stock and I should try a retail partner. Who, obviously also don't have stock.

3d printing looks the only option. Wrapping a buff over it for now.
Tourist

[ New ]
Soooo I am the biggest idiot because if I would have read this post I would have realized that the rubber cap you all are taking about was meant to be put on the Max lens mod when not in use. I carry my GoPro around my neck in the white silicone case with the lanyard everyday everywhere I go, cuz you never know what’s gonna happen and I like to be ready. Well long story stupid. I never used the cap and now my f*@kin lens has scratches all over it. I’ve been looking everywhere for tips on how to fix scratches in lenses and they say toothpaste but I think I’m screwed and just have to buy another one. I’m glad I have a subscription so it’s cheaper but it’s still like $70. Any ideas before I go and buy another one. Now that I’ve used it I can’t go back to standard lens. I really want ribcage backbone to make a mod for the 9 so I can use all the camera lenses in existence.
Tourist

[ New ]

oh hey.. so you have a spare rubber cap that you're not using ?.. 

One time I had a hero4 black that I put in a knock-off case (my cases kept getting scratched, I went through a few) anyway, it didn't fit well and the H4B lens was tapping against the inside of the case and pretty quickly there was a scratch on the lens itself.. a hazy 'dot' in the center of the image.. I tried to "rub it out" using tips I saw on the internet. turned out there was a coating on the lens and anything like toothpaste or super fine sand paper or whatever just wrecked it.. I ordered a replacement lens that I haven't put on on yet and ultimately bought a second had 4 black to replace it. This was a few years ago now.. long winded reply just to say my experience in trying to fix the lens wasn't successful.

Tourist

[ New ]

add one more to the list for losing the silicone lens cover that came with the mod lens.

i baby that thing and protect it with my life and somehow with a tiny momentary lapse of reason I misplaced it.

GOPRO NEEDS TO SELL THESE AS A STAND ALONE COVER...

Tourist

[ New ]

Also lost mine yesterday. I don't understand how this is not a part that's readily available since protecting the lens is SUPER important and losing the cap is also VERY likely. Will chat/call support in the morning so they have a log of it. Hopefully if enough people contact support to request it they'll eventually figure it out.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update. I contacted GoPro Support this morning, and they will be shipping me a replacement cap. Although in the confirmation email it said I would be getting a MAX LENS CAP. Hopefully it's the cap for the Max Lens Mod and not the cap for the Go Pro Max which they already sell (https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/max-replacement-lens-caps/ACCPS-001.html?ds_rl=12744...)

Will update again once I receive the cap.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks for taking the time to tell us that. Look forward to hopefully good news.
Tourist

[ New ]

Received the replacement lens cap... it was for the GoPro MAX. Womp Womp. Contacted support again and they were very confused. I asked for the case for the Max Lens Mod instead. The support person had no idea what I was talking about, and then asked me to supply a photo, which I could not... because obviously I had already lost it. Couldn't find a photo of just the case or lens cap anywhere, so I linked them to a youtube video reviewing the Max Lens Mod. Then waited several minutes while the support person checked with the rest of the team to figure out if it was an item they stocked, then was told they'd email me with a response later that day. I received no such response. This was about a week ago. Will try reaching out to support once again. I don't have very high hopes. But will do it anyway just so there's a record that a replacement cap request was made. Will update this post again soon...

If there's others with the same issue, please contact support and let them know this is a problem that needs to be addressed!

Tourist

[ New ]
I have reached out to them several times and even tried writing to their PR department to inform them that they are dropping the ball here. I was able to 3D print a resin cap that works but I would definitely like to be able to get the one that came with the lens mod. Go Pro is letting down their user base here and someone obviously makes this part so it should not be a problem getting this into production. Unless the lens mod is something they will not continue making, there will always be a demand for this. GoPro is doing it’s user base a disservice here. Some new products have turned up on their site but this simple request remains ignored. GoPro should listen to it’s customers.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @linq2. We have tagged the team handling your case to contact you back for an update. We do not have an exact time for when they will contact you back since it will depend on agent availability. Please keep your lines open and make sure that there are no settings on your phone that would prevent it from receiving calls especially from unknown or toll-free numbers. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Is Gopro really sorry about this? It is half a year since I tried to buy a replacement cap for my max lens mod. I was given a list of retail partners near me to try as you did not have them. Some honesty would have been nice, just admit there are non available. Do not send your customers on a wild chase for something you have never ordered. It's embarrassing.

To top it all off, despite wrapping it when not in use the frame on my lens got damaged in transit last week. Its only cosmetic but if gopro had spares I would not be saying that.

Sort it out gopro! Please!
Tourist

[ New ]

Well, I guess i will go to de end of the line waiting for Go Pro to make it available... I lost mine too!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here... lost mine... no way to get a new one. Come on GoPro!!! 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @domjfx

Our Support Team will be able to check on your options.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

+1. Lost mine hiking on the trail today. Contacted support and there is no option for a replacement.

Tourist

[ New ]

I lost mine too. Hopefuly after seeing how many of us need replacements they will start carrying them.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Can’t believe GoPro doesn’t offer a replacement cap to this popular lens. Lost mine also. Haven’t been pleased with their customer service lately either.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hard to tell but it doesn't look like that cap would fit the Mod Lens

Sightseer

[ New ]

Lost mine too, contact support, not very helpful, just ask me to wait until they are in stock.... bummer.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey all, a temporary solution is a lens cloth folded and use a rubber band or small hair tie to secure