Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Wifi BacPac update/registration issue

Having the same obnoxious issue as you all.

Tried registering my Wifi BacPac manually at https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera but it refuses serial numbers from wifi bacpac's, so that was an epic fail, exactly as their 404 page points out.  Thanks GoPro!  Good to see this issue has gone ignored for half a year too.

In any case, I was able to get my wifi bacpac updated by very very quickly clicking the upgrade button before the old version of Studio hides it and only shows the useless Register button.  Was able to update an old wifi remote that way as well.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I contacted GoPro support last year with this same issue.  They had me try a bunch of things, but they couldn't get the bacpac working. 

I installed the newer GoPro Quik software, hoping that I'd finally be able to get the bacpac working, but that software doesn't even recognise the bacpac.  

So I uninstalled Quik and tried older versions of GoPro Studio, and all of the above workarounds.  Still nothing.  I chatted with support who said they'd email within 24 hours with a solution.  That was a few days ago, and I still haven't heard back from them.

For months now this bacpac has been useless to me.  I can't believe that this issue that has been reported by others still hasn't been resolved.  Given the lack of support, I think I'm going to ditch my GoPros and give the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 a try.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Wifi BacPac update/registration issue SOLVED

WORK AROUND THAT WORKS (12/05/17)

(Works on macOS Sierra)

Turn your computer wifi OFF when on the devices manager page. It should stop asking you to register it and instead click 'update'. This will prompt you and tell you that there is no internet connection. Turn your computer wifi back on and then quickly press the update button. This worked for me and allowed the wifi bacpac to update and thus work with my Hero 2!

Hope this helps everyone and hope it works on Windows too.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I am trying to get the wifi bacpac set up for a trip we have coming up has anyone gotten any other options or has Go Pro figured this out yet? We cant register ours either.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - Doesn't look like we have this on the site anymore. If you give our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus a call, we can see if there are some still in stock we can order for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

Ugh, was this unpleasant but I got it working on my Android phone after a bit of persistance. And it took way too long to even find this thread IMO but here we go.

@jasonc wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous

We may have a workaround for this:

1. Open the GoPro Studio program. (Do not update if prompted to!)
2. Connect the Wi-Fi BacPac to your computer.
3. Enter the Help menu and select "Device Window"
4. When the screen prompts you to register the Wi-Fi BacPac do not select the button to do this.
5. Instead you will now press power button that is on the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac and the Update button should activate after a few moments.
6. Let the Wi-Fi BacPac update, and then you can change the name and password on the same screen Device window to then pair to the GoPro app.

Let me know if this helps.

So I've gotten everything working with my Hero 2 and WiFi bacpac for my Android phone with the part of the above instructions, even using the latest version of the Studio at the time I'm writing this - 2.5.11.5350. The update as far as I can tell was successful (behavior of the readout on the back was totally different) and I was still able to change the hotspot name and password using the Studio GUI, it just shows up as unregistered(honestly who cares as long as it WORKS).

Here's how I got it working on my Android phone:

Keep in mind the hotspot didn't show up until I followed the mobile app pairing instructions on the camera itself. With the bacpac on and connected to the camera, go into camera settings and change it until you see the wifi setting. Once there scroll down to "Phone & Tablet" and head on over to your mobile device, look for the wireless network and connect to it. Hop into the mobile app and you're pretty much done. I did have to connect it and disconnect it three times in order for everything to start working properly at first.

I really hope that helps at least one person out there with this infernal contraption.

All that being said and done, glad I got it working for my application but there's no way I'd spend full price on one of these only to have it be this much of a pain less than 6 years later.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Just an addendum to my last post. In order to go back and make changes to the WiFi bacpac's name and password, after everything was setup, required an older version of GoPro Studio to be installed. The device menu would no longer popup after all the updates were applied, so making changes was not possible.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same problem.

need help.