Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Anonymous

Wifi BacPac update/registration issue

[ New ]

Hi,  

Just bought a Wifi BacPac+Remote on sale at my local camera store here i Norway.

It is packed with a note that says it needs to be updated before use. So I followed update instructions on your support pages and installed GoPro Studio from the supplied link. Everything goes smooth, devices show up in the Device Window. BUT, before I am allowed to update the Wifi BacPac, it needs to be registered. When I click the register button i am sent to a GoPro website that no longer exist and get a standard webpage 404 Error. 

(FYI, my GoPro HD Hero2 is successfully updated).

Is there any way you can manually register my Wifi BacPac so I can get on with updating it? Can you manually link the serial number (see attached picture) to my GoPro username? If there is no fast solution to this I will need to return it to the store for refund ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any input! 

Best Regards

Christoffer Steinsvåg 

BacPac register error.png

Anonymous

Re: Wifi BacPac update/registration issue

[ New ]

please help , i have the same problem

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just picked up a WiFi Bac Pac.  I get the same error and it won't take a charge.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to see you're running into this problem. We have noted the issue as well. At this present time, there is a workaround that we've seen allow you to update your Wi-Fi BacPac that has worked in some cases. 

First, plug the Wi-Fi BacPac in and wait for GoPro Studio to start and show the device window. Then click the button that says register. This will open the failed registration page. 

After this, close the registration web page and power off the Wi-Fi BacPac. You may see the REGISTER button change to say UPDATE, which you would then be able to select to update the Wi-Fi BacPac. 

This isn't a guaranteed workaround, but we have seen it work in a couple of cases and I hope that it will do the trick for you too. Please let us know how it goes!

Anonymous

[ New ]

oh well this did not work for me and i really like to get my wifi backpac working asap. please help.

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous @Anonymous

We may have a workaround for this:

1. Open the GoPro Studio program. (Do not update if prompted to!)
2. Connect the Wi-Fi BacPac to your computer.
3. Enter the Help menu and select "Device Window"
4. When the screen prompts you to register the Wi-Fi BacPac do not select the button to do this.
5. Instead you will now press power button that is on the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac and the Update button should activate after a few moments.
6. Let the Wi-Fi BacPac update, and then you can change the name and password on the same screen Device window to then pair to the GoPro app.

Let me know if this helps.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Tried the suggestion, it says the firmware on the bac pak is updated but I can't change the name or password, website is broken for registration and I cannnot get the bac pak connected on wi fi.  Does the bac pak need to be registered to work? 

Any other suggestions?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

To change the name and password you would want to use the Device Window in the older version of GoPro Studio. If you don't have the link to download the older version it is HERE for Windows and HERE for Mac. From there, go into the Device Window under the Help section and you should see an option to change the name and password of the Wi-Fi BacPac. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I'm in the right place to post this, but, I'm experiencing exactly these issues with my recently purchased bacpac in Australia. None of the 'workarounds' have helped I still cannot update the firmware.

Do you have a permanent fix for this problem yet? Or, at the very least an interim solution?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Capture.JPG
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

Please help, i have the same problem

=> Workaround presented doesn't work

=> GoPro Hero2 (up to date) + WiFi BacPac + Remote

=> GoProStudioPC-2.5.6.509 - Windows 8.1

I can connect my BacPac WiFi

I can change WiFi name / paswword

BUT I can't upgrade because "Register" doesn't works and no update button appear!

=> Where is GoPro support?

=> Just make the "Register link" works again!

=> https://gopro.com/products/registration?product=1&serial=WIFIB0612xxxxxx

Why will i buy a new GoPro camera if upgrade issues are not corrected?

=> unbelievable : An upgrade exist et no way to apply it!

Gerard

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Gerard,

I have just been through this exact same thing. Minus the remote.

I have had a response from the GOPRO support which has enabled me to update the firmware of the BACPAC succesfully. They are not 100% clear in the instruction, at least for my case.

Follow this, I have added some points which they have left out in {}

Install "GoProStudioPC-2.5.6.509" which you seem to have already;

4. When the screen prompts you to register the Wi-Fi BacPac, do not select the button to do this.
  5. Instead, you will now press power button on the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac{Press power for few seconds untill the BACPAC power is turned off}  and the Update button should activate after a few moments. {The register button is removed, and the update button takes it's place}
  6. Let the Wi-Fi BacPac update, and then you can change the name and password on the same screen Device window to then pair to the GoPro app.{The BACPAC will power on during, and once complete stay powered on, my settings remained intact, I did not have to change anything further}

This process still does not allow registartion, but at least the firmware can be updated so things work.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I cant register my wifi bacpac so that also means I cant register my remote. I cant use any of the items I just bought.

HELP

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have tried steps listed and the update still will not run.

Any updates on this or something new I need to try?

Thanks!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Did you get any help for this issue?

All the best 

Sweetbluff

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,  

Just bought a Wifi BacPac+Remote on sale at my local camera store here i Norway.

It is packed with a note that says it needs to be updated before use. So I followed update instructions on your support pages and installed GoPro Studio from the supplied link. Everything goes smooth, devices show up in the Device Window. BUT, before I am allowed to update the Wifi BacPac, it needs to be registered. When I click the register button i am sent to a GoPro website that no longer exist and get a standard webpage 404 Error. 

(FYI, my GoPro HD Hero2 is successfully updated).

Is there any way you can manually register my Wifi BacPac so I can get on with updating it? Can you manually link the serial number (see attached picture) to my GoPro username? If there is no fast solution to this I will need to return it to the store for refund ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any input! 

Best Regards

Christoffer Steinsvåg 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Once I installed the older version GoPro Studio it took a while and after a lot of trial and error I did get it updated.

I had to keep trying different USB ports on my laptop as well powering it off and on and it finally worked when I plugged it into my laptop docking station.

Once I got updated it synced to my phone with no issues and works great!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Mine was returned. I do not have time for that kind of user hostile products ;)

Anonymous

[ New ]

Having the same obnoxious issue as you all.

Tried registering my Wifi BacPac manually at https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera but it refuses serial numbers from wifi bacpac's, so that was an epic fail, exactly as their 404 page points out.  Thanks GoPro!  Good to see this issue has gone ignored for half a year too.

In any case, I was able to get my wifi bacpac updated by very very quickly clicking the upgrade button before the old version of Studio hides it and only shows the useless Register button.  Was able to update an old wifi remote that way as well.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I contacted GoPro support last year with this same issue.  They had me try a bunch of things, but they couldn't get the bacpac working. 

I installed the newer GoPro Quik software, hoping that I'd finally be able to get the bacpac working, but that software doesn't even recognise the bacpac.  

So I uninstalled Quik and tried older versions of GoPro Studio, and all of the above workarounds.  Still nothing.  I chatted with support who said they'd email within 24 hours with a solution.  That was a few days ago, and I still haven't heard back from them.

For months now this bacpac has been useless to me.  I can't believe that this issue that has been reported by others still hasn't been resolved.  Given the lack of support, I think I'm going to ditch my GoPros and give the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 a try.

Anonymous

Re: Wifi BacPac update/registration issue SOLVED

[ New ]

WORK AROUND THAT WORKS (12/05/17)

(Works on macOS Sierra)

Turn your computer wifi OFF when on the devices manager page. It should stop asking you to register it and instead click 'update'. This will prompt you and tell you that there is no internet connection. Turn your computer wifi back on and then quickly press the update button. This worked for me and allowed the wifi bacpac to update and thus work with my Hero 2!

Hope this helps everyone and hope it works on Windows too.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am trying to get the wifi bacpac set up for a trip we have coming up has anyone gotten any other options or has Go Pro figured this out yet? We cant register ours either.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@Anonymous - Doesn't look like we have this on the site anymore. If you give our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus a call, we can see if there are some still in stock we can order for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

Ugh, was this unpleasant but I got it working on my Android phone after a bit of persistance. And it took way too long to even find this thread IMO but here we go.

@jasonc wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous

We may have a workaround for this:

4. When the screen prompts you to register the Wi-Fi BacPac do not select the button to do this.
5. Instead you will now press power button that is on the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac and the Update button should activate after a few moments.
6. Let the Wi-Fi BacPac update, and then you can change the name and password on the same screen Device window to then pair to the GoPro app.

Let me know if this helps.

So I've gotten everything working with my Hero 2 and WiFi bacpac for my Android phone with the part of the above instructions, even using the latest version of the Studio at the time I'm writing this - 2.5.11.5350. The update as far as I can tell was successful (behavior of the readout on the back was totally different) and I was still able to change the hotspot name and password using the Studio GUI, it just shows up as unregistered(honestly who cares as long as it WORKS).

Here's how I got it working on my Android phone:

Keep in mind the hotspot didn't show up until I followed the mobile app pairing instructions on the camera itself. With the bacpac on and connected to the camera, go into camera settings and change it until you see the wifi setting. Once there scroll down to "Phone & Tablet" and head on over to your mobile device, look for the wireless network and connect to it. Hop into the mobile app and you're pretty much done. I did have to connect it and disconnect it three times in order for everything to start working properly at first.

I really hope that helps at least one person out there with this infernal contraption.

All that being said and done, glad I got it working for my application but there's no way I'd spend full price on one of these only to have it be this much of a pain less than 6 years later.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just an addendum to my last post. In order to go back and make changes to the WiFi bacpac's name and password, after everything was setup, required an older version of GoPro Studio to be installed. The device menu would no longer popup after all the updates were applied, so making changes was not possible.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem.

need help.

Hiker

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Same problem.

need help.

it still does not work the serial number includes 15 cararter and the registe in demand 14

Hiker

[ New ]
the link brings us back to the same place
Anonymous

[ New ]

Just tried and yes, to confirm, when is asking to register disable your computer wifi and refresh. the update button will appear. then click on update and it will give you a network problem, enable your wifi and press continue and it will start updating.

Hiker

[ New ]
thank you for taking care of my problem I did what you said but it does not work after doing the resfresh there is only change password that appears on windows 7 32bit and gopro studio 2.5.6
Anonymous

[ New ]

thansk and this did work however eveyone must be informed that you cannot leave the back pack attached to the go pro or this way to update will not work.

Anonymous

[ New ]

if go pro doesn't want to support hero 2 and it's not that old of a system in terms of relative time not model! if not i will sell off all i have and go replay. they have nice units and only 3 models that are all supported and much much smaller!

Anonymous

[ New ]

updated wifi but still cannot update remote. contacted support team.....couldn't understand half what the lady said as her accent was thick and from a diff continent  but she said a " special support team " will look into it and email me. no one wants to wait 24 to 240 hrs for a response to a simple issue. it is reidiculous that this is even an issue when this there specialty so what does this say about the quality of the product!

Anonymous

[ New ]

my wifi bacpac works but i cant get the registration page to go to update, does it even matter? it already works with my cam!

Anonymous

[ New ]

if it works then use it....waiting for someone from go pro to get back to you is a waste of time. i was suppose to recieve an email or call in 24 to 48 hrs and haven't .....that was week ago!

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Gerard,

I have just been through this exact same thing. Minus the remote.

I have had a response from the GOPRO support which has enabled me to update the firmware of the BACPAC succesfully. They are not 100% clear in the instruction, at least for my case.

Follow this, I have added some points which they have left out in {}

Install "GoProStudioPC-2.5.6.509" which you seem to have already;

4. When the screen prompts you to register the Wi-Fi BacPac, do not select the button to do this.
  5. Instead, you will now press power button on the Wi-Fi Bac-Pac{Press power for few seconds untill the BACPAC power is turned off}  and the Update button should activate after a few moments. {The register button is removed, and the update button takes it's place}
  6. Let the Wi-Fi BacPac update, and then you can change the name and password on the same screen Device window to then pair to the GoPro app.{The BACPAC will power on during, and once complete stay powered on, my settings remained intact, I did not have to change anything further}

This process still does not allow registartion, but at least the firmware can be updated so things work.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thank you for documenting this! I had the same problem. I upgraded my HERO2 to the latest 312 firmware using the manual process (download onto SD card, press shutter+power button). The WiFi Bacpac needed a firmware update too because the PHONE & TABLET option in the HERO2's WiFi menu would never stick.

Following your above steps, only 1 of my laptop's 3 USB ports would even show the WiFi Bacpac in GoPro Studio. The rest kept saying I to plug it into a USB port, when Windows displayed a driver installed message for all ports. Then I had to repeat step 5 at least 10 times before the UPDATE button finally appeared, and it was successful the first time. Now the PHONE & TABLE setting works.

Thank you so much!

Hiker

[ New ]

it does not work the studio gopro closes and when it comes down he tells me to recorded my wifi

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello  @ghislainl27

As GoPro Studio has already been retired, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for further troubleshooting steps. You can call or chat with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 

Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Wifi BacPac update/registration issue SOLVED

[ New ]

" Turn your computer wifi OFF when on the devices manager page. It should stop asking you to register it and instead click 'update'. This will prompt you and tell you that there is no internet connection. Turn your computer wifi back on and then quickly press the update button. This worked for me and allowed the wifi bacpac to update and thus work with my Hero 2! "

I think this just worked for me out of everything in this thread so far. On Mac OS Sierra 10.13.6, GoPro Studio 2.0.

BacPac Version 3.4 is the latest?