Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Why does the smart remote suck so bad? It never controls all my cameras reliably!

[ Edited ]

Gopro has sent me a second remote, talked me through each of 5 cameras for more than an hour, and it never will control all of them reliably. Sometimes 5, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, how can you shoot like that. And its not even a glitch you can work around, its so random that you cant logically figure out a method to make them work even 50% of the time! And this isn't my first rodeo with cameras or gopros, ive had them since the 3's.  just in case someone might actually help, i have 5 hero 7 blacks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Why does the smart remote suck so bad? It never controls all my cameras reliably!

The only method I’ve found to work right now through trial and error is:
1- cameras and remote off, and each one connected to an external battery, without the internal battery
2- turn on all cameras one by one and hit reset connection
3- when it asks to connect, select smart remote on each camera and let them sit till you’ve done this to all cams
4- turn on smart remote and hold down the bottom right button till you are in pairing mode. Mine will then find all cams.
5- push record button to test
6- do not use the remote to turn off the power to the cams or they will lose their minds and you will have to start over.
7- I haven’t tried this with internal batteries as I need extended use. FYI - I’ve also learned the 7’s won’t charge while recording

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Why does the smart remote suck so bad? It never controls all my cameras reliably!

Hello @erricx

Appreciate the detailed post. Sorry to hear that the issue with remote control is still not resolved despite the Smart remote getting replaced. It would be best to continue working with Support regarding this matter. You may use the same case number that you were given for easy reference. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks, i'll try that, but they just follow the checklist on thier computer screen which says: reset the remote, reset the cameras, etc, but this is obvioulsy more than that, since it still doesnt work right.  do you guys use the remote on professional shoots?  How many other people use multiple cameras and have this problem? How is it posible to even have this product if it so unreliable?

Highlighted
GoPro

As this is an ongoing issue after the recommended resolution of replacement, Support should be able to direct the matter to the team in charge of the accessories. The results of the test that you did after testing the replacement will be helpful. 

Highlighted
Explorer

A lot of it just depends on the line of site for the Remote and the cameras. If the cameras are relatively close together then I've found that the Remote works very well. If the cameras are spaced out and not all within direct line of site of the remote, then there is more likelihood of signal drop out on one or more cameras.

Additionally, Wi-Fi interference also plays a part. Things to consider and try to avoid having near or around the Cameras or Remote: Mirrors or reflective material, Metal, Concrete, Marble, Bricks, and Water. These all have high to very high Wi-Fi interference properties. Other materials such as Wood, Plaster, Synthetic materials, and glass have low interference properties, but can also effect transmission.
Highlighted
Hiker

My cameras are within 1 meters of the WiFi remote. No issues staying connected with the Session 5.  I cannot keep it connected to the GPH7Blk.  With battery, without battery using reliable Ext power it keeps disconnecting. 

Highlighted
Tourist

The only method I’ve found to work right now through trial and error is:
1- cameras and remote off, and each one connected to an external battery, without the internal battery
2- turn on all cameras one by one and hit reset connection
3- when it asks to connect, select smart remote on each camera and let them sit till you’ve done this to all cams
4- turn on smart remote and hold down the bottom right button till you are in pairing mode. Mine will then find all cams.
5- push record button to test
6- do not use the remote to turn off the power to the cams or they will lose their minds and you will have to start over.
7- I haven’t tried this with internal batteries as I need extended use. FYI - I’ve also learned the 7’s won’t charge while recording
Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks Eric - that is the most useful response to date on a problem that has been plaguing me for months.