Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

The (new) Remote not working with GoPro Max when using > 32 GB sd cards

[ New ]

I have tested several Sandisk Extreme cards (PRO/not PRO, A1, A2, 64GB, 128GB) on my GoPro Max and they all work for recording but the Remote won't pair with the camera when using them.

I have tried using no sd card, 16GB and 32GB cards and the Remote pairs and works fine in these cases. I haven't tested yet in the wild, and I am expecting more issues after reading some posts but that will be another story.

My question to GoPro now is, is this a known issue with the Max or a specific problem with my (just received as replacement) camera? Or a problem with the Remote maybe? When I try pairing the Remote and Max with the problematic cards, the camera just freezes and I have to take off the battery in order to restart it.

Thanks,

Antonio.

Hiker

Re: The (new) Remote not working with GoPro Max when using > 32 GB sd cards

[ New ]

By the way, GoPro Hero 9 is not having any issues with the same sd cards mentioned.

Both cameras are on their last firmware.

Remote not pairing with Max when using:

Sandisk Extreme PRO 128GB U3 A2

Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB U3 A1

Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 A2

Remote pairs ok with:

Sandisk Extreme 32GB U3 A1

Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @olmed0. Thank you for sharing your findings. It is odd for The Remote to work only with specific SD cards. We do not have any literature on this but will share the information you provided with the team. We will post back on this thread once we have their advice. 

To verify, it is only with the MAX that the SD card factors in the remote control pairing. Is this correct?

Hiker

[ New ]

Turns out, it was not about sd card size but formatting the sd card from the camera menu.

I don't know what this does exactly, but it makes the Remote work.

The cards were working fine for recording videos, so this is not a very obvious thing to look for and maybe the camera could do it behind the scenes instead of the user having to format the sd card? Just pointing it out in case any GoPro developer is reading :)

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya just reading your previous comment now, thanks for the quick reply. 

Weird that the same cards worked fine with the GoPro Hero 9 and Remote, but not with the Max. Once I formatted the cards using the camera menu, the Max has no issues pairing with the Remote.

GoPro

[ New ]

Great findings, @olmed0. We will share this with the team. We appreciate the update. Many thanks!