Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
GoPro

Re: The Remote USB Port not waterproof

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @kitechino0323. We were able to pull up the case. In terms of the shipment, we can only send and receive through UPS. You may still send it to us through a carrier that is accessible to you but the shipping fees will be care of you. 

We will pass your observations along to the Product team. A photo showing the door flush on the port will be helpful. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Here is the picture of the door closed flush with the Remote.

Will post a picture of the water ingress below.  

I understand that I can send the remote back with another carries, however the cost is higher than the cost of the Remote itself.  Plus I will have to pay import tax fees when the warranty remote arrives.  The normal post office will not take it as it has a battery.

You may want to consider waiving the return of item that cost less than 100 Euros from remote locations like the Canary Islands.  I understand it for the camera, but for the remote it just does not make sense financially for both the end user or Go Pro.  

--

Gunnar

IMG_20210219_075821.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Here is the picture of the water inside the port after about 20 seconds of submersion in 4cm of water and a bit of movement.

IMG_20210219_075802.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing @kitechino0323

We'll have this forwarded to the team.

We'll post once new information is available.

Hiker

[ New ]

Same thing here. Will contact support tomorrow but just wanted to add to the thread that I am having the same issue. A couple of surf sessions, rinse with tap water after use as I normally do with the cameras as well. And today when I am about to charge the Remote I find that the usb-c port door is not waterproof.

IMG_8014.JPG

Hiker

[ New ]

I just received my remote replacement but the support agent was not able to determine whether the usb port door was faulty or it's a general product design flaw.

To be honest I think this new door is even less secure (probably due to being a refurbished item) or at least the same as the previous one. And I am pretty sure the usb port itself (without the plastic door) is not waterproof. 

So, wanting to use the remote while surfing, any advise on how to cover the usb port so that it doesn't get wet and ruined over time? Good old fashioned duct tape is first thing that comes to mind...

Thanks.

Hiker

[ New ]

Waterproof USB-C connectors exist:

https://www.connectorsupplier.com/designing-with-waterproof-usb-type-c-connectors/

So the question still remains: is the port from The Remote waterproof? What IPX rating if so?

Would be nice to know in order to clean and maintain it properly.

(I am dreading the moment I will have to charge it for the first time, still 80% battery life for now). 

Hiker

[ New ]

tumbleweed.jpg

I don't think it's such a difficult question and it would be very important to know how to clean the usb port of my Remote.

If I can rinse it with tap water every time I come back from the sea that would be great because I would not get mold in there which would potentially burn the port the next time I put it to charge.

If I can't rinse it with water, I would like to know how to clean the mold (which is what I already have, as shown in a previous picture). Isopropyl alcohol I guess? Any official indication from GoPro would be great. 

Thanks.