Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

The Remote USB Port not waterproof

[ New ]

Ater one session the USB port on me new "The Remote" is totally corroded withing a couple of hours of getting out of the water.

Customer support (after not even knowing what "the remote" was) told me that the port is not waterproof.  I thought maybe the port needs to be rinsed off right after use as the cover does not really keep the port dry, but Customer support says to not do that as they think the port is not waterproof. But then again, they did not even know what the remote was.  

Does anyone really know of the port is waterproof and can be rinsed after use with fresh water, or not?

Thanks,

--

Gunnar

IMG_20210212_093040.jpg
GoPro

Re: The Remote USB Port not waterproof

[ New ]

@kitechino0323, the USB-C port itself isn't waterproof. As long as all the doors/covers are closed, The Remote is waterproof to 5m (keep in mind Wi-Fi limitations in water).

Hiker

[ New ]

Well obviously it is not. The cover/flap was closed when I used it.   Water easily gets into the port through the cover, even just when holding it under the tap when cleaning.  So either the Port is waterproof and you are meant to rinse out the port after use in salt water, or the Remote is no actually waterproof at all.  So which is it?

--

Gunnar

GoPro

[ New ]

@kitechino0323, we want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks. I tried that already. They were not very helpful. First they did not know what that the Product even existed. Then after agreeing to warranty it, they could not offer me a realistic solution to sending my remote back. I live on an Island were there is no official UPS office and the UPS agent here does not take RMA packages. If I send it at my own costs it costs more than the remote, and will take weeks. I gave up when they suggested I fly to Marroco to bring it to the UPS office there. I will order another one as that is cheaper and faster to get a new one. But I am worried that the same thing will happen with the new one, as I do not see anything wrong with the port cover on the one I have. It is just so loose and flimsy, and I don't see how it can stop water from getting to the port.
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate the update, @kitechino0323. Is there a case number for your interaction with Support? We used the email address on your Hub profile but we are not able to pull up a case pertaining to your issue. We'd like to share this feedback with the Product team to look closer into the issue. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi  Marius,

Yes. The Case number is Case 09235931.  I also saved the transcript of the chat if you would like to see that.

--

Gunnar

Hiker

[ New ]

Here is an update.  

I purchased another remote as it was cheaper and faster to do that than the warranty.

It just arrived and I tested the cover by submerging the "the remote" in my sink.  There was water inside the cover again.

So 2 for 2 the cover does not keep water out of the USB Port.  So once again, can someone at Go Pro please tell us if the port is waterproof or not.  Because if it is waterproof, then the cover is ok, but if the port is not waterproof, then it is a design fault and the new remotes are not actually waterproof.

--

Gunnar