Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Surfboard or regular Mount

[ New ]

For mounting on a sufrboard, does anyone know if it's safe to just use the regular mount that comes in the box with the GoPro Hero 7 Black, or should you really buy the surfer mount? 

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Surfboard or regular Mount

[ New ]
DO NOT use the regular mount. I've known plenty of people who have lost their GoPro using the regular black mounts.

The Surf mount is not only larger (more stick surface), but also has a second safety tether mount. This has saved my GoPro on a couple occasions in large surf.

If your board is epoxy or fiberglass, use the surf mount. If it's a soft top surfboard (foam), only use the bodyboard mount. DO NOT use an adhesive mount on a soft top board.

To apply the surf mount:
1) Clean the area with alcohol and allow to dry
2) Press the mount firmly onto the board and keep pressure on it for at least one minute (ideally you want to keep pressure with a clamp or weight for 24 hours).
3) DO NOT use your board or attach a camera for at least 24 hours (48 hours is best)

You want to apply the mount in a dry area that is neither too hot or cold. MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT USE IT FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS AFTER APPLYING THE MOUNT.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
DO NOT use the regular mount. I've known plenty of people who have lost their GoPro using the regular black mounts.

The Surf mount is not only larger (more stick surface), but also has a second safety tether mount. This has saved my GoPro on a couple occasions in large surf.

If your board is epoxy or fiberglass, use the surf mount. If it's a soft top surfboard (foam), only use the bodyboard mount. DO NOT use an adhesive mount on a soft top board.

To apply the surf mount:
1) Clean the area with alcohol and allow to dry
2) Press the mount firmly onto the board and keep pressure on it for at least one minute (ideally you want to keep pressure with a clamp or weight for 24 hours).
3) DO NOT use your board or attach a camera for at least 24 hours (48 hours is best)

You want to apply the mount in a dry area that is neither too hot or cold. MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT USE IT FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS AFTER APPLYING THE MOUNT.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll head over to my local surfshop that carries them and pick one up and put it on a couple days before I surf. Now I'm wondering if I should also get a floaty. Do you use one? If so, isn't it odd to have a floaty on the surfboard mounted GoPro? Won't it be cumbersome for your duck dives? 

Explorer

[ New ]
I always use a floaty. I've never really noticed it when duck diving. The floatation is minimal.