Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Super Suit Housing Cracks

So I use a supersuit housing for spearfishing and recently I had an issue with a leak into the housing that turned out to be a result of cracking around the screws that hold the lens in. I purchased a replacement housing while going through the drama of getting a replacement for my original one through GoPro. Now the replacement I purchased is developing the same thing after only about a month. I would like to know if anyone else is noticing the same thing? I haven't tampered with the screws at all and am trying to figure out a cause, I suspect that it is likely the screws themselves.

Nomad

Re: Super Suit Housing Cracks

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! GoPro officials here always recommend using the super suit when in water, but looks like this will not help at all (due to poor design of the suiter suit as well or lack of quality control too).

Nomad

How deep are you going? The Super Suit is only rated for 60m.

GoPro

Hi @jarradp10,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your Super Suit. It is certainly not normal to have issues like that. I have been using my Super Suit regularly without any issues since its release. Like @maplepanda said the Super Suit is only rated to 60m, so anything deeper then that can cause issues. Is there a reason that you suspect the leak is coming from the screws?

There are a lot of things that can effect the integrity of the seal and you definitely want to make sure to inspect and clean your housing regularly. Here are some steps to make sure there are no issues with that housing before your dives:

• Rinse the camera with fresh water to flush out any remaining debris, salt or sand. 
  • If debris is caked into the camera, door or button crevices, soak the camera in warm water for 15 minutes to loosen the debris, and then rise the unit under running water.
  • If you find that a button is sticking, we recommend removing the door (if possible) and repeatedly pressing the button under running water. Be sure to take precautions to protect any exposed ports if you are unable to remove the door. 
  • Allow the camera to air dry, or dry it with soft, lint-free cloth.
  • Prior to use, visually inspect all seals and door buttons on the camera to ensure that they are dry and free from debris. 

If you think there is an issue with the screws themselves I would recommend to reach out to support directly to see if they can get that resolved for you! Hope this helps!

Best,

Ryan

Tourist

The screws are causing the housing to crack, then eventually a slow leak develops when the cracks are bad enough. Im only using it spearfishing so it doesnt go past 20m and ive had the same thing happen with 2 housings.

Go pro support are hopeless sent them photos of cracks around the screws the full thickness of the housing and it took 6 weeks to get a replacement authorised. The store i purchased my 2nd housing from replaced it in 2 minutes so ill pass on dealing with gopro again.
GoPro

Hi @jarradp10,

Again I am very sorry to hear that you are having those issues and the time it took to resolve that for you. Sometimes there can be a delay in communication on both ends. I understand if you do not want to go through support again, but you are welcome to reach out to get the issue taken care of! If you would like to share some photos of the cracks you are seeing that may be helpful for us to look at so we can keep an eye out for that issue in the future! 

Cheers,

Ryan

Sightseer

Hi, 

My recently purchased Hero 5 super suit has had the exact same issue. I am a regular diver but never exceed 25m depth and am very careful with my camera and housing. I rinse it throughly with freshwater after every dive. The suit has recently started leaking, with the leak getting worse over time to the point where I can no longer use the housing. Cracks have developed around the screws holding the lens onto the body of the housing. One has cracked so badly that the crack is now across the front of the housing. This supersuit was only purchased on 10th April 2017 (so it's 3 months old) from the official GoPro website. This is extremely infuriating and I will require a full refund. I can provide a copy of my invoice.

I have been unable to conact GoPro up to this point with all customer services lines busy or not open. I would greatly appreciate a speedy response. 

Many thanks, 

Lucy

IMG_8516.JPG
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hello,

i have exactly the same crack after dive. I was 40m deep. Where i can sent the suit to get a new one? Is this in the Warranty?