Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Smart remote looses contact with Hero 7 black

When i pair the remote to the camera at first everything works fine, but after a while the remote loses contact with the camera. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes i need to reinstall the remote. Solutions?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Smart remote looses contact with Hero 7 black

Hello @geertd3028. Sorry to hear about the problem connecting your Smart Remote with multiple cameras. Typically, this connection issue can be resolved by resetting the connections on all devices. I do have some suggestions that may help.  

1. Turn off the Smart Remote and your camera. 
  2. Reset the Smart Remote by pressing and holding the Power/Mode button on the remote for about 8 to 10 seconds. Leave the remote powered OFF for the meantime. 
  3. Reset the Wi-Fi connections on your camera using the steps here
  4. Pair the devices:  
    • Power off your remote. Power ON your camera and set it up for pairing using the instructions here
    • Now set your camera aside and pick up the remote. 
    • With the remote powered OFF, press and hold the red Shutter button on the remote. While continuing to hold the red button, press the white Power button once briefly. The remote will power on and show two arrows moving towards each other. You can let go of the red button at this time. Now the remote is in pairing mode. 
    • At this point, the camera and remote should both show arrows moving towards each other. After one minute or less, the camera and remote should pair. 
    • The remote should now mirror the camera's front LCD screen, indicating that pairing was successful.

Additionally, the Smart Remote connects to your GoPro camera's Wi-Fi. Make sure that the camera isn't connected to the GoPro App on your mobile device when trying to connect the remote to it.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

I tried the solution you proposed, still the same problem. The camera is mounted on the back of my motorcycle, the remote on my handle bar. When testing everything goed wel, even when driving the first 15 to 20 minutes it works, but then when I try to power up the camera again via the remote, it does not work anymore. The remote is showing the wifi search icon but does not seem to find anything. Yesterday I put the remote on a lanyard around mu neck, so it would be closer to the camera, same problem. Both batterys fully charged, camera is even on the motorcycle power outlet, so has full capacity. I don't understand anymore. I have a Garmin camera mounted in front of the bike with a remote control, never had problems??

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @geertd3028. How much time passes between turning the camera off and turning it back on using the Smart Remote? Could it be that the two devices have ready ended communicating by that time? 

Highlighted
Tourist

No exact idea, I power on the camera first, then the remote. I start driving, test it, OK. I power off via the remote. Maybe after 15, 20, 30 minutes I power it on again, works fine. But next time, don't know how much time pased, I try to turn the camera on again via the remote, no response. I even turned off the auto shut down on the camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

@geertd3028, thanks for the info. By any chance, do you remember if it has been more than a few hours? Also, did you remove the battery or it ran flat?

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

No I try to make movies every 15 to 30 min. The camera is powered by the motorcycle. I did not remove the battery from the remote, it is possible that during winter time the battery has run flat, but I charge it everytime before we go on a trip.

Highlighted
Tourist

Today I bought the remo to see if that works, gues what, I can't even turn on the remo, it wount charge??? This is a brand new device??

Help!!!!