Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Smart Remote: works during live view on HDMI?

[ New ]

Dear all,

I have a Hero 7 Black and a 5" HDMI monitor. If I connect it, the monitor shows the live view as expected. Also, the small black/white LCD screen on the Hero 7 comes up with an icon, probably indicating that it's in live view now.

Having connected a third party remote, (TELESIN), its small LCD screen would display the same icon.

I cannot, however, use the remote's "record" button anymore - only pressing record on the GoPro itself would start and stop the recording.

Question:

• Does the original GoPro Smart remote behave differently?
  • Can I start/stop recording with it while having an HDMI monitor connected in "Live View"?

Thanks, Markus

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Smart Remote: works during live view on HDMI?

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya,

yes I finally managed to get this working.

The trick is to press the red record button on the remote for about 4 seconds after the remote connected to the camera and shows the external-screen-icon on both the camera LCD and the remote LCD. Then, both LCD screens would show the usual information such as video mode, resolution and so on.

Perhaps this helps others as well. And I consider this thread "solved", but don't know where to click in order to set the status in this forum...

Cheers

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @peppyhill835. The Smart Remote should still be able to control the camera even when it is connected to a display (HDTV, for example) through an HDMI cable. Please note though that such setups are prone to radio/Wi-Fi interferences that can affect the consistency of the performance of the Smart Remote. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya,

yes I finally managed to get this working.

The trick is to press the red record button on the remote for about 4 seconds after the remote connected to the camera and shows the external-screen-icon on both the camera LCD and the remote LCD. Then, both LCD screens would show the usual information such as video mode, resolution and so on.

Perhaps this helps others as well. And I consider this thread "solved", but don't know where to click in order to set the status in this forum...

Cheers

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @peppyhill835. Great to know that the issue is resolved. We appreciate your sharing of the resolution. Best regards!