Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Shorty way to tight to camera.

@mblum 

The mounting fingers of the new GoPro cameras will not get "destroyed" by the tight fitting Shorty. They are metal. The newer mounting fingers have a little more slip than the older plastic fingers of the housings previous cameras required. Feel free to look for an alternative that you like better, but it's not a faulty design and is much better than having loose mounts. In either case (tight or loose) it requires tightening the screw to secure the camera. By having the mount a little tighter it requires less tightening than the previous mounts required.

If you want to say that the previous mounts were faulty by design, that's fine. They did require more tightening and were not as well designed in this respect. However, they also work fine (although need more force to tighten and also unscrew).

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your answer @danielr15 and I get your point. It is great that the fingers are metal and a tightly fitting mount is better than a loosly fitting mount, agreed!

But my Shorty-GP8 combination is definitely too tight and others seem to have this problem too. 

1) It is very difficult to align the holes for the screw because I need to apply so much force that small movements are nearly impossible. 

2) If I push the camera into the mount, the fingers of the Shorty bend outwards because of lack of space. This pushes the nut off axis which makes it very difficult to fit the screw.

3) Metal can get destroyed (see picture)

Like I said: The fit on all my other mounts is perfect. 

IMG_2898.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

I understand your concern, but I've been using the SHorty for two years now with my GoPro cameras (HERO7, Fusion, HERO8, Max) as well has my son, my neighbor, my friends, and my brother in law. Yes, it is tight. No, it will not damage your camera. You just need to wiggle the camera around a bit to get the holes lined up. I see a little wear on your mounting fingers, but nothing that should cause any issues. Let's not forget a couple of things, 1) It's an action camera and 2) the mounting fingers can be replaced (although I highly doubt you will need to due to use with Shorty).
Highlighted
Tourist

It's great that you enjoy your Shorty but I really don't and I am sure you wouldn't either if you had my version.

If it would be a helmet mount that needs to withstand a lot of vibration, maybe. But it is a grip and tripod. I want my camera to move freely until I screw it down so I can frame my shots. This is impossible to do without picking the camera up or by only using one hand. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Mine is tight as well, and yes I do enjoy using it, but like I said in my first reply to you, "Feel free to look for an alternative that you like better". I'm not trying to convince you that your feelings about the Shorty are wrong, just your assessment of whether or not it's faulty.
Highlighted
Tourist

Danierl,

My Shorty and some others are faulty, the ears bend almost to breaking point. It’s not a feature it’s a defect. Yours is not defective, perhaps.
Highlighted
Tourist

I got tired (and really upset) of the fit of my Go Pro on my shorty (and the response from Go Pro representatives).
I purchased an extra 2 Shorty from different batches (yes, I am an engineer !) and the fit was the same.

Grooves dimensions are ok at the entry point, but plastic is somehow "swollen" past that point.

Only solution I found to enjoy the fit (and use) of my Shorty was to bring it to a machine shop and get the grooves cut all along to the dimension of the entry point.  The fit is now perfect and as soon as you tighten the screw, it holds in place; and as someone else was saying, it is for a HANDHELD use not on a vibrating mountain bike going downhill.  So the position is holding.  

I'm a happy camper since then.

Go Pro people should be into a listening mode rather than into a deny mode.   

Mistakes can happen.  If you are a responsible adult (or corporation) you should acknowledge them.
I'm using it on a Hero 6 Black 

Highlighted
Tourist

Well, no luck with the 2nd Shorty that GoPro support sent me... still the exact same issue.  The shorty is too tight to fit in the Hero8 mounting fingers.

I contacted GoPro support again, they had me send a video demonstrating the issue, and now they're sending me new Hero8 mounting fingers.  I'm not very optimistic that will fix the problem either, but we'll see.

I really wish the GoPro engineers would take a look at this problem since it seems a lot of folks hare having the issue.