Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Hiker

SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2 64GB

[ New ]

Hi, GoPro is listing this memory card for GoPro7 in https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations.

But the one I found on amazon (https://www.amazon.fr/SANDISK-Adaptateur-Logiciel-R%C3%A9cup%C3%A9ration-RescuePRO/dp/B07FCMBLV6) ha... reference SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA which is not exactly the same as what gopro is listing (SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA)

The only difference is the 'G' instead of 'A' in the last part of reference, but I'm not sure what it means.

It's cheaper and more advanced than the only 64 GB that gopro is selling (a class A1 card) but I'd like to avoid the usual "your gopro does not work well because of the memory card' in case of issues, so I'm trying to figure it out.

Anybody at gopro able to confirm the amazon card SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA is supported too ?

Thanks

Explorer

Re: SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2 64GB

[ New ]
It's just a designation of region. The best SanDisk Extreme card for GoPro cameras is the 64GB cards designated with v30. Just be sure you purchase from a reputable dealer (usually if it says sold and fulfilled by Amazon), as there are a lot of counterfeit.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks danielr, the card I found is marked as V30 but since gopro is explicitely listing some references and not others I'm not sure.

The seller for this specific card is not amazon but a third party, so yes you're right, there's the risk of counterfeit, even if seller's reputation is ok. I'll see what I do, an official answer from a gopro member would help though.

Link in my first message was wrong : https://www.amazon.fr/SANDISK-Adaptateur-Logiciel-R%C3%A9cup%C3%A9ration-RescuePRO/dp/B07FCMBLV6

Hiker

[ New ]

There's also an extreme pro, sold & shipped by amazon : https://www.amazon.fr/SANDISK-Adaptateur-Logiciel-R%C3%A9cup%C3%A9ration-RescuePRO/dp/B07G3GMRYF/ (ref SDSQXCY-064G-GN6MA) which is not listed at all on gopro's page (even though the 32 GB A1 version is... go figure)

Explorer

[ New ]
I think you are better off getting this card https://www.amazon.fr/M%C3%A9moire-MicroSDXC-SanDisk-Extreme-Adaptateur/dp/B06XWMMPGV/ref=sr_1_fkmr3...

It's the same card as is listed (fifth down).
Explorer

[ New ]
Not listed doesn't mean it wont work, but rather that it just hasn't been tested. It's best to stick with listed cards as it makes trouble shooting easier.
Hiker

[ New ]

Nice find, thanks !

Hiker

[ New ]

I just realized that the 64GB A2 version I was looking at earlier is also sold & shipped by amazon (you have to click on the other offers) :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FCMBLV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&psc=1

Once again the reference ( SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA) is not exactly the same as the one listed by GoPro, but it does look like the same as : "SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2 64GB SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA" and you're right, best to avoid 3rd party due to counterfeit items.

I hope you're right about the G/A difference being only a matter of origin or something, so I'll buy this one instead of the A1

Sightseer

[ New ]
Check this page from sandisk https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extreme-microsd-a2

'G' means for global and 'A' means for America, seems legit
Tourist

[ New ]
I've got the same, also from amazon, and it works ok for 2.7k videos. I've tested 4k for few minutes and it was also working.
Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks a lot karloos, nice find !

I searched for this naming convention and couldn't find anything.

For those interested, the interesting part in the link provided by karloos is in the "product number" tab of the "specification section" where we can see the different reference depending on country :

AmericasSDSQXA1-400G-AN6MASDSQXA1-256G-AN6MASDSQXA1-128G-AN6MASDSQXA2-064G-AN6MASDSQXVF-032G-AN6MA
CanadaSDSQXA1-400G-CN6MASDSQXA1-256G-CN6MASDSQXA1-128G-CN6MASDSQXA2-064G-CN6MASDSQXVF-032G-CN6MA
ChinaSDSQXA1-400G-ZN6MASDSQXA1-256G-ZN6MASDSQXA1-128G-ZN6MASDSQXA2-064G-ZN6MASDSQXNE-032G-ZN6MA
GlobalSDSQXA1-400G-GN6MASDSQXA1-256G-GN6MASDSQXA1-128G-GN6MASDSQXA2-064G-GN6MASDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA

For now it seems to work ok too, even though I had 1 occurence where the gopro screwed up and started acting weird, not responding after starting a recording. I had to remove the battery to stop it. Tried a few times, and always reproduced it, until I came home, recharged the original battery and put it back in place (I was using a compatible battery at the time of failure). The corresponding files are corrupted...

Not sure if this can be related to the battery, as the gopro was working fine with this battery in other occasions, but I'll monitor this and see if I contact gopro to send it back.

Anyway, I don't see how it could be related to memory card, so for now it seems to be ok.

Explorer

[ New ]
Beginning with the HERO3 Black I noticed that the majority of issues reported where from people using SanDisk cards. I too would have random and seemingly unrelated issues. Back then I switched to Lexar 633X and suddenly all of my issues went away (I still use a Lexar 633X in my HERO3 and HERO3+ cameras).

When the HERO4 came out, the same trend of people reporting issues and using SanDisk slowed a bit, however I still stayed away from SanDisk and stuck with Lexar. When the HERO5 came out the issues reported by people using SanDisk cards was rampant. I too tried one in my HERO5 Session and had issues. However, when I used Samsung Pro or Lexar 1000X cards, I had no issues. For this reason, I strongly urged people to stay away from SanDisk cards with their GoPro.

When the Hero6 came out, SanDisk released the v30 cards. I can't remember what compelled me to try one, but I did and it worked great. i purchased more and had no issues. However, I have found that with the recent release of v30 cards, about 20% of those that I have purchased seem to be causing random issues (freezing, battery drain, and a weird LCD screen glitching). I've been marking these cards and sure enough, it's only when I use them that I have any issues (although sometimes they do seem to work).

Lately I've been using the Samsung Evo Select and haven't had any issues. Another member posted that after testing with a heat gun sensor, he noted that the camera runs cooler with the Samsung cards as well.

If you are having issues with your card, be sure to do a FULL (not quick) format of the card in your computer followed by a format in the camera. This seems to give the best results.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi danielr, interesting.

I run full format whenever I have issues or use my card outside of the gopro (except when I just transfer my files to the computer), I'll keep in mind the sandisk vs lexar vs samsung cards debate, but then again it would be weird that gopro recommends some sandisk cards if they actually don't work so well.

We'll see...

Explorer

[ New ]
A board member for SanDisk used to also sit on the board for GoPro. I always suspected that this is where the relationship started. Interestingly, the GoPro media team used the Lexar 633x with the HERO3/HERO3+ years. I don't know what card they used now.