Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Remo Remote will not charge or power on

After a long time of waiting, I finally got smart remote as a refund instead of  non working remo which is out of the market, no more available

Highlighted
Tourist

I wrote on this board seven months ago, having received a Remo as a free gift from Argos with the purchase of a GoPro Hero 5. Three faulty units later Argos sent me a £40 gift voucher in recompense and the faulty Remo ended up on a shelf in my camera room. Yesterday, with a knowledge of electronics and nothing to lose, I took the Remo down from the shelf and decided to try and disassemble it. Not easy, as it's a very sealed unit with no discernible way of access. In the end I took a small hacksaw blade to the thin weld line around the edge of the base of the Remo and skimmed off the plastic base. If anyone with a dead and out of warranty Remo tries this, be very careful as the lipo battery touches the base and would be very easy to cut into and short circuit. Anyway, with the circuitry revealed I removed the battery and attached battery management board ( photo attached which I hope will be visible in this post ) leaving two red and black leads. For those who might be interested the 3.7 volt lipo battery had a readout of 0.66 volts when tested on a voltmeter.

I connected the two leads to a 3.7 volt bench power supply and lo and behold the Remo came alive. It connected faultlessly to my Hero 5 and I spent the afternoon shooting in the garden using both the voice and pushbutton controls. When it works the Remo is certainly a very impressive device.

I'm now going to rehouse the Remo with an external combined 3.7volt battery & charger unit from a VR headset. The waterproofing and warranty are lost of course but I'm very pleased to have got the thing working.

SNV84115.JPG
Highlighted
Nomad

Good job

I was going to do the same but did not have spare remote to do it with as all units went back and got refunds for.

For me the water proffing is essential as would be using in the sea.

Its a real shame that this would have been a great product except for gopro lack of quality control and poor battery choice.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hola cómo solucionaron el problema yo compré uno la semana pasada y nunca cargo
Highlighted
Nomad

deberás regresar al lugar donde lo compraste.

o póngase en contacto con soporte técnico quien lo cambiará por "control remoto inteligente"

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am glad I found this stream.  I was beginning to think that I was simply doing something wrong.  When I first bought the Remo remote for a travelling trip overseas, it worked great.  Then my second trip home I trying to get it to work for a mountaineering trip only to find no matter what I did I could not get any lights on or make the device power up.  Very disappointing.  Put it in the drawer for a while as the support in the country in am currently living in is quite useless.  Guess I be folllowing this uo with a different support country.

Good to know its just not me.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I bought a REMO Remote today and it is completely dead out of the box.   Ive tried everything too and nothing works.  Now I have to waste time contacting gopro and trying to get a return from a store across the country

Highlighted
Nomad

Welcome to the club !

If you contact gp, they will exchange it for the smart remote (not voice though).