Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Re: Remo Remote will not charge or power on

[ New ]

THANK YOU michaelv12520.

Despite umpteen folk going through the pain of replacing 2, 3, sometimes 4 REMO remotes and still not finding a working one - dickdutch, dampfish & danielr15 continuously defend GoPro in a case that is indefensible.

Why is that?

Danielr15 wrote “a little perspective is necessary when discussing public apologies and recalls.”

OK.

Here’s my perspective – and I believe a LOT MORE than 3 users will share my view

We’ve seen on this very forum, reports from folk in Brazil, Kuwait, France, UK, Canada, Belgium, USA (Dallas)….and perhaps other countries I have missed or folk have not stated their country – all with this issue.

BRAND NEW REMO REMOTES not working right out of the box. Not charging. Unrecoverable. Dead.

There is an undeniable issue with this product.

To quote the user that opened this snag
jrbean67 “I'm the one that started this thread, and am amazed how many people have the issue. “

I’m loathed to defend GoPro in any shape or form – given this context – but will be honest in saying that GoPro Support do seem to be politely working through their fiasco when contacted. IF your RMA unit gets back to them, it seems they will try to send you an alternate remote.

Tourist

[ New ]

I forgot to add that I did get a call from Gopro support that they wanted  to replace my Remo remote with the Gopro Smart remote and asked if I would agree I said yes. That must tell you something about the remo product. But I am still out a remote due to my defective remo not showing up at their site.

I have found the Gopro support staff to be very professional so far. and last but not least I do take responsibility for one not reading all this feedback before buying the remo and second for not sending via Canada Post with Tracking. I was in a hurry and the post office said it would get their in 3-4 business days. I have mailed many items through Canada Post and this is the first time I am running into a issue.

I would hope Gopro would understand and I have sent them Pictures and receipts and even offered to send the box with the rest of the stuff that came with it. I am just looking for some flexability from them.

Enough said but still dissappointed..

Mike

Tourist

[ New ]

michaelv12520 Mike – I feel your pain. Salt in the wound.

I hope that GoPro will come around to honouring your Canada Post receipt.

All you are returning to them is a dead unit - so there is no loss of value. You tried to send it back.

You have a receipt showing that. Canada Post may even find it and deliver it – so keep the faith.

I offered to video the destruction of the faulty REMO I received to save everyone time and hassle posting a lump of useless plastic back to them...they still want the dead REMO back before any replacement will be sent.

They seem to have a use for dead REMOs - we don't.

Just for info to all considering RMA (returning)...GoPro on the top of this page states FREE SHIPPING + FREE RETURNS.

In my case I was sent a link that produces a free TRACKED shipping label with UPS – all created and paid for by GoPro. It's a PAIN to find a convenient UPS drop off place, but it MAY save the ultimate pain Mike is going through (though let's hope yours WILL turn up - no reason why it shouldn't).

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the info on the Free Shipping Free returns, they never mentioned that when I was on with support. Good to know for next time!

If I do have success at some point I I will update the thread.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just an FYI the smart remote is about 20 dollars more than the remo

Tourist

[ New ]

I think in the States / Canada other folk have tabled exactly what you report.

In the UK it is the other way round - REMO is £80 and Smart Remote £60.

It's possibly all rather academic given the issues we've all had with the REMO.

If the REMO doesn't work - or is prone to fail at some point - I think most of us would rather go for something that is deemed more reliable - whether it costs more or less - as long as GoPro leave us with a functional semi-clever remote, then it's a step forward.

The lump of plastic that flashes red once (aka REMO) - is truly not that entertaining or useful when you are about to set off on holiday and discover that "feature". I can only hope the smart remotes fare better. I would rather loose £20 in "downgrading" to the smart remote if it proves to be reliable and fit for purpose. Here's hoping.

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree getting a working remote is a step in the right direction. With what I have read I don't think I would want another Remo even if working at the beginning. Once the battery drains you might be stuck again

Tourist

[ New ]

Absolutely.

Given the REMO experience we have all had - what faith would you have in your "investment" when you need it. ZERO.

Which is why I 

" told them categorically I do not want to waste any further time on the Remo - happy to look at any other option/device".

And thankfully they took that onboard without quibble - in theory they will send a smart remote.

I would not have been ok with any other option - other than a refund of £80.

Let's hope we don't need a further forum discussing similar issues with the smart remote !!!! I'm not aware of snags...but then you only really go looking for solutions when you have a problem...and only then do you discover the thing is junk. Hey Mike !!! (Like all of us)

Anonymous

[ New ]

REMO is the worst product ever produced.  I would put it in the category of the Ford Edsel, New Coke, and the Apple Newton.  The only difference is at least the other products were working before being sold to the general public.  GoPro seems to be great about changing their products every quarter to make its customers have to buy more just to use a product already bought and paid for.  I purchased the REMO at an airport on my way to Cambodia and looked forward to using its voice activation for images of Ankor Wat.  I followed the directions to the letter to charge it then tried to simply turn it on and nothing.  What a waste!  I arrived back in the States where i requested and received a new REMO.  Exactly the same thing happened!  I got ahold of GoPro customer support who assured me that there were just issues in the product run and I would get a new one immediately.  That was December 28, 2017 and today is February 6, 2018.  In the meantime I have received emails telling me that my case is closed and when I call, support tells me that is just an automated message.  I just got off the phone again with GoPro support who now tells me that GoPro has discontinued the REMO product and is sending me a smart remote.  WOW, I wonder how much money they made off of producing that worthless product only to have people finally give up asking for help.  I am exteremly disappointed in not only the REMO product but also GoPro's business practices.  I was an early adopter with their cameras but nothing works together.  From water proof housings to cables, there always seems to be some new accessory that they try and nickel and dime customers. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just an update Gopro finally found my RMA at their site(probably there all along) and with the help of support rep Michael P and a bit of bugging every day on my part, Gopro sent me a replacement Smart Remote. Story end.

Michael V

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, that's great news Mike. So pleased all ended well for you. My RMA has been confirmed "received". Now awaiting delivery of the smart remote. Thanks for posting your good outcome.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Bought Remo at Wal-Mart two days ago.  Same issue as everyone else.  Plug it in to charge it, you get a red flash.  And that's it.  Period.  Tried charging them it the computer, charging it in wall chargers, left it for hours . . . completely DOA.  Went back to Wal-Mart and exchanged the first figuring the first must be a defective fluke.  Nope.  The new one does exactly the same as the first. Wish I had read the comments here first.  Since this has been going on since August, you'd think GoPro would have recalled the product and not left it on the shelves to frustrate consumers since the thing obviously does not work.  What a waste of time and energy.  The second is going back to Wal-Mart tomorrow.  Does not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling about my new GoPro camera, I'll tell you that much.

Tourist

[ New ]

Totally agree with your sentiments hardywater00234. CLEAR that the product should be recalled - despite 3 posters here saying THEIR statistics show there is no issue (obviously failed maths at school). GoPro are not doing themselves any favours by leaving a duff product on the shelves. On the UP SIDE, I have to say my experience of GoPro Support Staff was good....after the same fiasco as yours. The RMA process is a pain, but if all goes well, you end up with a smart remote. I literally received my smart remote (via RMA) minutes before going on a trip. It charged and hooked up to the GoPro with total ease. It can turn on and off the GoPro from sleep (Don't think REMO could do that on a gopro 5) - so the END RESULT is fantastic - but like you - so many of us went through excruciating pain, stress and ill feeling before GoPro delivered a usuable product - and these things are not cheap so a faulty unit just adds insult to an injured wallet. All I can suggest - given you are State side, keep a faulty REMO from Walmart and go through the GOPRO RMA process and you should get a SMART REMOTE - which for USA folk I believe is an UPGRADE, money wise. For UK folk, you loose £20 in that the SMART REMOTE is £20 CHEAPER than the Remo....so rather return to shop, get refund and buy a smart remote at £60 rather than the (non working) REMO at £80.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem. Mine doesnt even flash the red light anymore.

I tried charging with another cable, phone charger, ipad charger and nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Jen

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Jen

No-one has tabled a fix to date. Not even GoPro. The only solution we have found is to raise a support request with GoPro who appear to be very good in arranging an RMA (Return to Manufacturer). Initially GoPro were sending back a working Remo. Of late they are sending out a SMART REMOTE as a replacement - which appears to work well - it doesn't have voice activation, but hey, it's a remote THAT WORKS.

I've found the SMART REMOTE battery endurance is not that long - but it recharges fine, so it's usable at least.

SMART REMOTE has a stupid proprietary charge cable which is an added nuisance to carry around.

Don't waste any more time trying to get the REMO going - we've all tried handstands, cups of tea, cursing....and even different chargers like you tried. NOTHING works to revive a dead REMO it seems. 

Ask your GoPro support agent to send you a link to free TRACKED shipping for the return of your faulty REMO unit.

Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Follow Tourists' advice Jen.  The older traditional remote actually works and it is a far superior product to REMO on every level.  My REMO experience really was upsetting, but will say I have been happy with my new GoPro 5 and all of the other GoPro accessories.  But whomever it was who designed and built REMO ought to walk the plank, along with whomever has decided to keep this horrible product on the market.  It's not good for the GoPro name.

Anonymous

[ New ]
My first Remo was great. It lasted two snowboarding trips until I finally lost it during a backcountry trip. The voice recognition worked unless it’s way too noisy or windy. The battery lasts well for a day.

Given the good experience I have had. I went to buy a second Remo. Now I am in the SAME situation as you guys. The Remo was charged overnight. The red light flashes once. It won’t turn on. Nothing works. I’m bringing it back to the shop and get it replaced. GoPro you really need to address this.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Same here. Just gone  dead. Tried all my cables and wall sockets. Any updates if there's a recall or what? Bummed out...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I got refunded by the shop. I buy from them often so the process was painless. I bought another remo from a totally different store today and guess what? It won’t charge or turn on as well.. will need to get another refund. GoPro you are almost over I think.

Nomad

[ New ]

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or is it simply a return?  I bought a Remo today (3/12/2018) brand new at a store and I'm getting the same issue.  Red light flashs once and that's it.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem here. I just bought a Remo today (3/12/2018) also brand new from Best Buy and same EXACT problem.  Red light flashes once, and does not charge up at all.  Wish I knew this was a lemon product before I decided to buy it.  Hopefully I can return this and get money back.

Anonymous

[ New ]

There is NO FIX for this problem. Don't Waste your time trying to fix it. This is a widespread problem right out of production. Take it back to the store where you bought them and ask for a refund. Show them this thread. Sellers usually are not aware of such problems. If they offer an exchange, open and test the Remo in front of them. There is a BIG chance that the other Remo is defective also because the whole batch are affected.

If your shop refuse to help, your only way is to contact GoPro for a replacement.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Has anyone been able to find a solution for this issue? 

I've tried to charge either with wall charger or computer but have the same issue, my brand new remo doesn't charge or power on.

Nomad

[ New ]
So I just picked up a Remo at Best Buy and they price matched the **bleep**'s sale ($19.99) and this one works. Me and a friend bought 4 Remo's from **bleep**'s and they were all dead. I have one ordered from **bleep**'s online so hopefully it works as well because my buddy still didn't get one that works and we've bought and returned all in town. This one from Best Buy was the last one they had in stock.
Anonymous

[ New ]

The fix is to return it to GoPro and see if they'll trade it for a Smart Remote, or return it to your retailer and get your money back.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yep, your 100% correct.  So I ended up getting a Remo from Best Buy and they price matched the **bleep**'s sale price ($19.99) and the one from Best Buy worked!  This was the 4th one I had purchased before finding one that works.  Also Best Buy had the Smart Remotes for $15.99.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here. Bought it from Surfdome, UK. Try to power it on or charge it with many chargers. Without success.

I read this thread and return it.. Now I am waiting for refound.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here in Czech Republic, I got my Remo free with my hero5 session. It didn´t charge, just a short blink. I returned it to the shop. One day later went for new one - BUT - the shop ordered TWO new ones - both had the same problem. 3 out of 3 are faulty - great score. Waiting for solution, hope that next one will be ok.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hardysurf51553

My apologies for any troubles caused. For REMO-specific concerns, please contact Support Team via phone or chat for assistance. https://gopro.com/order-status

Thanks!

EJ

Nomad

[ New ]

I find it amazing the situation has been allowed to get so bad.

I received one yestarday and had the same problem, brand new sealed box, 

DOA.

Why was the product recalled and fixed ?

I am assuming its a battery issue rather than the electronics.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @robindean

Our Support team will be able to assist you with this case. You can connect with them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
I purchased one from Amazon USA, and ecactly the same problem, I plug in the USB-C charging cable, the red light flash once and go out. That is it all can do then nothing, I got my refund.
Tourist

[ New ]

Today I want to buy Remo in our local store. We opened and checked 3 remote controllers, but all with the same issue. Quick red flash and no charging.
Really said and hope Gopro will develop new reliable waterproof voice controled remote.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes same here.

However I think gopro have no money to develop new products anymore.

Anonymous

[ New ]
O meu como o de todos sofre do mesmo problema, comprei abri a caixa e simplesmente, não dá nem sinal de vida, como faço para resolver o problema, será que é só entrando em contato com o suporte da gopro?
Nomad

[ New ]

no puede ser arreglado lo reemplazarán con un control remoto inteligente que no tiene voz. Deberá cargar un recibo y enviar el control remoto a NL (le enviarán una etiqueta de UPS)

Anonymous

[ New ]

Exactly the same problem!! Bought it long time ago and not even used two times!

After not using it for a long time now is not even turning on.

Is Gopro going to replace this defective product?? I have seen that it is not listed anymore!

Nomad

[ New ]

They will only replace it with a smart remote- not voice

Tourist

[ New ]

Count me in also. Mine just arrived today and I have tried charging it with Apple iPad, iPhone charger and my Macbook Pro USB-C charger and nothing happens. I can see a red light for a brief moment and then nothing. What a weak product GoPro has made! They should be ashamed for not having better quality check on their products with such a high price tag....this is not helping with their customer sactifaction!

Tourist

[ New ]

After doing a search for this problem I realize that this is not just a few Remo's which has this problem but it seems to be a BIG issue for a lot of customers. GoPro needs to address this an a.s.a.p. but I guess they are in deeper trouble and doesn't care about this issue! Had I known this before I bought this product I would probably not have ordered it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=gopro+remo+charge+site:community.gopro.com&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X...

Tourist

[ New ]

After doing a search for this problem I realize that this is not just a few Remo's which has this problem but it seems to be a BIG issue for a lot of customers. GoPro needs to address this an a.s.a.p. but I guess they are in deeper trouble and doesn't care about this issue! Had I known this before I bought this product I would probably not have ordered it!

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, its a dreadful situation.

You would have thought that they would have recalled all stock to fix the problem.

All that is happening now is customers are buy remo's and all complaining about gopro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fastbluff05255

Apologies for the trouble. Have you been able to contact Support team regarding your REMO issue? If you have not yet, you can connect with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

I really think the Smart thing for Gopro to do would be to own up to the mistake with the Remote and work quickly to get Customer issues and complaints handled more efficently.  Might also be wise to let new customers know before they make the mistake of buying one of these. Would also be nice if they say what they plan on doing to either fix the issue or drop the product.I had to jump through several hoops to get mine replace with a Smart remote. Enough Said.

Michael.

Nomad

[ New ]

Trouble is the smart remote does not have voice commands which is why I purchased the remo in first place.

Tourist

[ New ]

Agree with you, robindean. I already own Smart remote, but sometimes I dont have 3rd hand to control it.
Remo would be perfect solution, but after two attemps to buy it and many broken devices, just gave up.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Here also NOK (Belgium) , tested 2 , 2 different shops.

Different cable , different adapter

Bring them back

Nomad

[ New ]

I bought about 6 Remo's until I found one that worked, if you can get one that works just keep it charged, don't let it go dead and you're good.  I make sure to plug mine in every week to top off the battery and haven't had any issues.  If you get one and have the Red flash its dead, the battery has went dead and will not recharge, it's basically been sitting on the shelf to long, which is a shame this would happen as the Remo is a fantastic remote.

Nomad

[ New ]

if only could find one that worked.

is there any chance of posting a quality photo of back, want to see if possible to open unit

Tourist

[ New ]
Well, it probably would be a great product if it was developed and produced in such a way that the battery wasn’t drained by the electronics inside. This product seems to be a dreadful and faulty produced device and GoPro should stand up to their mistake! I ordered two and both had the same problem. I returned them both and the dealer told me they have had so many customer complaints about this product and that they would stop selling it from now on.