Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Remo Remote will not charge or power on

@dickdutch
Thanks for posting. I was going to write something similar but not quite as tactful. 😉
Highlighted
Tourist

I had to try very hard top be that tactful :-)
Highlighted
Tourist

Well it won't let me post a response in full so here goes bit by bit...

Hahahaha!

Tactful?

Well. Tactful when it's deserved - sure - no probs.

I definitely like to go that route ordinarily. I'm a peace loving fellow. Honestly.

But when hundreds of folk highlight a CLEAR manufacturing defect (PRODUCT NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE)
then I'm afriad it's simply time to cut the chit chat and say it as it is.

My time is precious.

These products are DANG expensive.

Thankfully mine are all brand new...so back to the poor department store they go. My time wasted. Their time wasted.

I don't have time for companies that sell me rubbish at a massive price and expect me to sit out in the cold while they run off with the loot.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN on my watch.

Now - that aside - they obviously have managed to make a camera that takes pretty good pictures - the wide angle lens is great etc etc. So cost aside....and reliability aside....they have made some kit we all find dandy...WHEN IT WORKS. But it's that last part that niggles.

When I open a box.....a sealed....BRAND NEW box with a remote control that costs £80....and it fails to turn on.....and I read hundreds of EXACT SAME reports from other hard working folk that have mortgaged the house to get the item.....well then I wear a little thin on tact and the old red ink starts flowing.....and the words become clear and simple.

It just ain't good enough GoPro - your product has an issue - MAN UP AND FIX IT or refund folk without quibble.......

Highlighted
Tourist

The alternative as I did already mention is go for Sony, Contour, Garmin (another lot that failed customers with map licence fees), Panasonic, Yi, Xi , ping pong ding dong or whatever other offerings are out there.

My son tells me most phones give you 4K video (Sony Xperia for example)....so I don't think we're snookered.

I could rant on all night....as I think GoPro's privacy policy stinks too....have you read it...I mean seriously.....

You HAVE to register so you can use the GoPro software to edit YOUR video etc ?

Imagine if you had to REGISTER your fridge and toaster, your kettle, light bulbs, cameras....and General Electric scrutinise what veggies you buy each week as every entry to the fridge goes through their software.

How awfully INTRUSIVE.

WHAT on EARTH is all the snooping for????

Do they REALLY think we will not be OFFENDED by such MANDATORY agreement to surveillance in order to use the software required to use a product we have mortgaged the house to buy ????

What PLANET are these folk from ?

So as the night wears on, my like of GoPro is waning I have to say...for those that didn't spot it.

To all good folk out there - vote with your feet - the customer REMAINS king and deserves a fair deal at least.

I have tried every fan-dangled angle to get this gopro remote thing to charge or turn on. It won't. It's dead.

As John Cleese would probably say at this point...it is an EX GoPro remote thingy. It has ceased to be. It is no more a GoPro remote thingy. It has expired. (if it were ever alive)

And there I leave you in peace. (yes....I do hear you all sigh with relief......I've even put myself to sleep here)

Highlighted
Tourist

Wow, for someone whose time’s precious, you really do go on, and such utter **bleep** too. I’ve given up being tactful, go away, leave this thread to people who have a problem, but want to resolve it, not cry.
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm the one that started this thread, and am amazed how many people have the issue. 

That being said, like others have pointed out GoPro was very helpful when I contacted them via chat (as instructed in their first response to me), and arranged for a new one to be sent in exchange for mine.  The new one does seem to work, and hold a charge.

This is not the only time they have helped me. They replaced a GoPro2 for me that was bricked by a firmware update that was literally years out of warranty. Not every company will do that, and it is why I bought another GoPro when I wanted to upgrade.

John

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just had my 4th Remo replacement today. Same problem as the other 3. Red light flashes once then nothing happens after that. Tried all sorts of chargers to get remote charged and working. Definitely a serious issue with these remotes.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you stoutsurf53767 for confirming (after problems with 4 units) that it is pretty futile trying to rely on one of these remotes.

Very sorry to hear of your experience - but appreciate your post letting folk know useful facts. Helps decide the "return or replace" conundrum.