Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Tourist

Red Filter - rule of thumb

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I recently dove with a red filter for the 1st time. Some videos turned out great (enhanced color) and some videos have a visible red layer masking the image. It was a shallow dive, no deeper than 45ft. After reviewing the videos, I concluded that anything above 25ft looked reddish, and anything below looked good and/or better than it would have without the filter.

I can only assume that depth is the key factor when deciding whether to use a filter.

As a rule of thumb, at what depth should one put on the red filter on? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

GoPro

Re: Red Filter - rule of thumb

Hi @matts865,

Within 10- 80ft should be good. 

If it's too bright 10ft might look red since it is not advisable to use red filter with bright light. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

The visibility during the dive wasn't the greatest, which is why i was surprised to see any red at all. I have a clip at safery stop (15ft) which is completely tinted red (there was some sun peaking through though).

I suppose I have to watch the sun going forward as well. I'm diving in Hondurus in 2months and don't want to ruin my footage by using the filter incorreectly. This recent dive was suppose to be my red filter crash course ;).

GoPro

We'd love to know how it works out then. Thank you for sharing your experience here. Have a great time on your Honduras dive! Cheers!

Tourist

[ Edited ]

One-size-fits-all is typically going to include compromises, and your experience with one filter demonstrates that you have reached its limitations.  I use PolarPro's set of 3 filters.  It includes a magenta filter for "green" (fresh)water for use between 15-75' as well as a red filter for "blue" (tropical) water at the same depth ranges.  But more importantly, it includes a 3rd snorkel filter that is pink for those shallower depths between 2-20' only.  So on a dive, you can tie on tethers for the 2 filters you need to swap them out on the fly (they just press fit over the lens of the super suit--the seal is not watertight anyway and it's perfectly normal for water to get between the filter and super suit, this doesn't affect video quality).