Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Mounts + Accessories
Highlighted
Tourist

Protective housing Hero8 Black leaked on a scuba-diving trip

[ Edited ]

Protective housing Hero8 Black (waterproof 60m) was leaking the whole 2-day liveaboard trip on the Great Barrier Reef. I bought the new GoPro Hero 8 Black and its protective housing the day before the trip (21 August 2020) from the shops in Cairns, Australia (JBHifi and Garricks - I have receipts). I went scuba-diving (up to 15 metres depth and 5 dives in total with the camera). The housing leaked and eventually flooded! I was going to go deeper but i was so worried about the camera so I remained above 15 metres depth. I could not fully enjoy the trip. I was devastated :( This has broken my trust in GoPro. I used GoPro7 & its housing for a year without a leaking problem.

On the first day of the trip after I finished the dives I soaked them in freshwater on the boat and let them dry. On the second day I tested the housing in a tub and it didn't leak. So I went diving with the camera again and guess what it leaked again! Obviously it could not withstand the pressure at depth. I'm so disappointed with GoPro. I can't even contact customer support (the website says "Sorry, all agents are helping other customers right now. Please try again later."). Should i take it back to the shop? Has anyone successfully been scuba diving with GoPro Hero8 Black housing?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Protective housing Hero8 Black leaked on a scuba-diving trip

I just tried my new housing as well, never went deeper than 6 feet, and my housing failed as well almost immediately! First it fogged up and then it was obvious there was water entering the housing. What gives? I'm thinking of returning everything, including my new Hero 8, selfie stick, dive light, SD card, camera grip and filters.  It's got to be faulty product as I I can't fathom what I could have done wrong. I spent extra money to buy what I thought was a premium brand. Planning on diving the Florida keys in a couple of weeks and had hoped to use this setup. Good thing I tried it before heading down. Now I just don't know what I'm going to do...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @tivanigopro and @latebubbler59. we'd like to help as much as we can. We would like to gather details regarding the issue so we can determine what may have caused the water to enter the housing. 

To proceed, please get in touch with our Support team. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Be sure to have access to the housing and your camera when you contact Support. It would also help to prepare photos/clips showing the issue. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

The first dive had very minor leak (visible as a bit of water trapped on the back screen). Then on the second dive it was more visible and the whole thing fogged up which totally ruined all my videos and photos. The third dive it fogged up and partially flooded. The fourth dive it completely flooded. I immediately went above 10 metres depth the whole dive for fear of ruining the camera. Other divers on the boat advised me to try all sorts of tricks (e.g. I rinsed with freshwater between dives & air dry, checking for hair, lint, and using thumb to press against the back door before closing, etc.). Interestingly, the other diver on the boat brought along a GoPro Hero 7 and her housing also had leaking problem (with similar pattern -- from minor leak, fogged up, then progressing to full flood). However, I had Hero 7 housing for a year without leaking issues. I'm thinking of returning as well. Seen the most amazing things underwater and i couldn't take a video or photo! Big disappointment with GoPro. 

Highlighted
GoPro

@tivanigopro, we want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.